There's only one thing I want to do. The splits.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
There's only one thing
Started by gottabfit, April 9, 2010 · 3 Replies · 805 Views
Posting a quote from slizzardman about his old stretching protocol because it seems pretty good.
He had me do a *LOT* of partner stretching. It was not fun at all, but it worked extremely well. Partner PNF, to be exact. For around 45 minutes 5-6 days a week we would work wall splits. I'd be in the wall split the whole time, and he'd put one of his feet on the inside of my left ankle and his hands on my right ankle. Then I'd go as far as I could on my own, and he would push me an extra few inches. I'd be held there for minutes, until everything relaxed. Then I'd squeeze against his hands and feet for around 10 seconds, and as I relaxed I would be pushed further. When it was fairly painful we would stop there and I'd hold it for around 20-30 minutes. Like I said, it's not fun. After that it would take me around 30 minutes for my legs to feel stable. At that point we'd do regular warm up. That was 5-10 minutes of jump rope intervals, followed by hamstring stretches and standing splits, but not too intense. A few lengths of hip external and internal rotations down the mat and I was ready for kicking! I ended up with devastatingly hard kicks.For the hamstring stretching, a lot of it was Bruce Lee style. Progressions for foot-elevated single leg stretches. I performed these in PNF fashion, first moving to the extent of my flexibility and then pressing against the rail as if to bring my leg back down, without relieving the stretch. When I felt it was time to relax I would move further. It took around four months of all this for me to be six inches from a full split, which is as far as I took my splits. I kept working on my hamstrings and made slow but steady progress.
I also worked on active hip flexibility, which went ok. My flexibility has always been poor, but I ended up being pretty flexible. It took a lot of work, and a lot of that was partner work. there are machines you can buy to do some of that partner work for you if you don't have a trainer like I did.It's important to have that one way or the other if you have difficulty with flexibility.
Full thread viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3801&p=29000&hilit=+how+to+kick+harder+#p29000
To be honest though I think you're aiming a bit low. Working on other strength progressions can only be good for you, and if you realise you want the strength later you'll be kicking yourself for having wasted time. There are far more interesting things to do IMO than spreading your legs apart, and if that is your only goal you'll probably get totally bored with it and probably not even succeed. That said, best of luck (not that it will do anything without training).
Edit: could anyone explain how to condense links into words please? Eg For full thread click HERE (here linking to thread)
and why exactly can't you do the splits? do you want us to tell you how to train for the splits?
links like that, put and put your text between the url tags.
Thanks.I've been wondering how to do THIS for ages.