Hi folks, can I get a form check on the first press lesson? Thanks!!
This mobility movement is testing my faith in the strength of the stall bars!
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Jennifer Marie, April 2, 2018 · 5 Replies · 92 Views
Hi folks, can I get a form check on the first press lesson? Thanks!!
This mobility movement is testing my faith in the strength of the stall bars!
Hey Jennifer,
You're off to a good start on this progression. On your PE, your main focus is to imitate a half-press position. To do this, rather than opening your shoulder angle as much as possible, only open your shoulders to 180 degrees. As you do this, work on pushing tall through your shoulders, trying to keep your ears covered. You might find that moving your feet up a couple of bars helps you to feel a stronger handstand position. In your plank position, try to hit strong protraction and PPT.
Nice work on your iM so far. As you lower into your pike position, try to keep your knees completely straight. As you feel more comfortable with this exercise, work on getting deeper into the stretch as well as bringing your hands and feet closer together. Your goal is to eventually be able to get your glutes level with your feet at the bottom of your stretch.
You're doing a great job so far, keep it up!
Thanks Jeffrey!
Quick question on the iM -- I think I'm bending the knees and not stretching as deep as I could out of fear of slipping off the bar. I tried the same movement with my feet on the floor and just holding the bar with my hands -- much better stretch. Is that okay? Or is there a specific benefit to having the the feet on the bar that i might be missing with this modification?
Hey Jennifer: I'm on the next iM (5 x 30 second holds). I'm doing it in a stairwell on a metal roof-access ladder over a concrete floor. I was worried at first about cracking my noggin, but that was just my head messing with me. You're a strong girl and won't have any problems. Your grip strength will improve over time as well.
Keep your ribs pulled in and down on the Pe. Dont arch.