This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Planch Pushups - outer wrist pain

Started by Joshua Stevens, April 2, 2018 · 5 Replies · 102 Views

Joshua Stevens

A few years ago I injured the outer side of my left wrist on pinky finger side (TFCC). After a lot of rest, it recovered and since then I've worked hard on wrist strength and have not had any other issues. In addition, I am half way through HS1 and my wrists feel stronger than ever - I am also strong and can do large numbers of pushups and pullups.

Last week I progressed my F1 onto planch pushup and on the first set I instantly felt a little compression on the outer side of the wrist.  As per the mobility video, I adjusted my fingers outwards to put less strain on the wrist, however the next morning and subsequent morings the TFCC has felt a little tender.  I am pretty shocked by this given how much wrist strength I have built over the years.

Does this exercise put extra stress on the outer side of the wrist, and does building strength in the wrist not prevent this? I am keen to understand if I can adjust the exercise accordingly or I will just have to refrain from it to avoid further injury.  Thanks

Mikey Cunanan

Hey Joshua,

Peudo-planche push ups do have a tendency to place great stress on the wrists. The best thing to do in this situation is to cease training anything that causes pain to the wrists (this can span over a week or two).

When you get back to training, there are two options.

First, try performing these with minimal lean at first. This will allow you to gradually increase the stress to your wrists.

Secondly, you can hold onto parallettes or dumbbells to significantly reduce the stress to the wrists. This keeps your wrist in a neutral position rather than extended.

If problems persist, it may be a good idea to get it checked out by a medical professional.

 

 

Joshua Stevens
16 hours ago, Mikey Cunanan said:

 

Secondly, you can hold onto parallettes or dumbbells to significantly reduce the stress to the wrists. This keeps your wrist in a neutral position rather than extended.

 

 

This seems like a good idea - so it's okay to continue through F1 by holding onto parallettes for planche training, instead of hands on ground?

By doing this, will I be missing out on any progressions or strength developments?  From my understanding, planche is usually done on parallettes anyway...

Alessandro Mainente

Yes you can, but if you use the paralletes I highly recommend to add the H1 to your courses. it has a very good wrists problems prevention routine.

Joshua Stevens
56 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Yes you can, but if you use the paralletes I highly recommend to add the H1 to your courses. it has a very good wrists problems prevention routine.

Yes, I am already mid-way through H1

Alessandro Mainente

You should be protected by wrists work on H1.