This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

My scapula are winging all over the place

Started by Jason Berger, April 1, 2018 · 1 Replies · 94 Views

Jason Berger

I've been doing some reading that says scapula wing because of a weak serratus. I've been concentrating on feeling my scapula lie flat in all the movements and thought i was doing things well because all of a sudden my shoulders, lats and traps are firing properly for the first time in my life, but when I looked up exercises to strengthen the serratus I learned that the best exercise is scapular push-ups. Apparently I should feel them firing when my shoulders move forward because they protract the shoulders... but on scapula push-ups I only feel my pecs firing.

Any tips on activating the serratus? Mine is quite dysfunctional and checked out decades ago.

Alessandro Mainente

HI Jason, generally the scapulae winging differs for 3 situations. the one you are referring to is the type2 weak serratus anterior. type one is weak upper/medium trap with the upper medial edge of the scapulae moving laterally. type 3 is weak rhomboid with the lower medial edge moving laterally. said that case from a case must be diagnosed by a face to face meeting with a PT. then you can act on correcting it.