This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Unexpected Sensation in Elbow During Push-ups

Started by Chris Simamora, March 30, 2018 · 4 Replies · 89 Views

Chris Simamora

Hi, 

Today when on my final set of pushups (4 sets of 9 reps) during upper body day, I experienced an unusual sensation in my right elbow. It felt as if a tendon were rolling back and forth adjacent to the point of the elbow, on the inside of the elbow if one is holding their arm straight out palm up. There wasn’t pain associated but it felt like something I shouldn’t push through. Post workout, there is slight soreness in that area.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this and if I have to modify my push-up and/or do any pre-hab to address this issue?

Thabk you for any guidance,

Chris

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Chris,

Is the soreness around the area a deep soreness within the joint, or is it more of a superficial muscle soreness that you experience after a normal workout?

Everett Carroll

Hey Chris,

That was smart to not push through the pain. There are so many things this could be and it is really beyond our scope to give any advice other than consult with a medical professional. In training, things like this do occasionally come up and it's best to rest the area and see a doctor. Please keep us posted on what they say and how it feels over the next few days.

Chris Simamora

Hi Jeffrey, the soreness was superficial. It was slight, and in fact it was gone after a few minutes. 

Chris Simamora

Hi Everett, 

Thanks for the advice. I’ve found that my primary care physician isn’t very knowledgeable about exercise, but I’ll see if he can refer me to a specialist of some kind.