This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

LDL levels high

Started by Javier Castellote 229832, March 29, 2018 · 1 Replies · 88 Views

Javier Castellote 229832

Hi,

Any suggestions for substitutions for individuals with high cholesterol levels? I just had some lab work done and numbers are high. All the mainstream info. I find on high cholesterol diets suggest consuming very little animal fat, and cocnut oil is also an “avoid” fat.

Thanks!

Saquib Rahman

Hi there,

It would not be possible for others to provide substitutions when they don't know what your consuming in the first place.Therefore, it maybe useful if you post what you usually eat throughout the day so that one of the more qualified people here can suggest substitutions. And don't be shy about "cheat" foods, you cannot find the solution if you are not transparent about the problem :)

I am not qualified (yet) to answer this but I am currently working on a Diploma in Nutrition (and Msc later if I can). As far as I have read, Saturated fats in moderation would not lead to LDL increases, so animal fats and coconut oil shouldn't be an issue unless over-consumed.

I think the common recommendation would be to avoid any trans fats you may be having, and take in more Omega 3s (e.g. fatty fish, macadamia nuts, flax seeds, etc). Also steer more towards mono-unsaturated and saturated fats when cooking with high heat, as poly-unsaturated fatty acids are easily damaged/hydrogenated by heat which essentially make them similar to trans fats at that stage. Avocado Oil may be a good option. It contains beneficial essential fats and has one of the highest smoke points.

High cholesterol in general could also be a sign of inflammation somewhere, as cholesterol is a part of the body's defence mechanism against such issues.

All the best.