This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Bulgarian L-pullup RCPE12 - elbow position in front of body?

Started by Nick Murray, March 28, 2018 · 6 Replies · 132 Views

Nick Murray

The course video for RCPE12 shows the athlete with the elbows in front of the body. Is this correct form?

With body mass in the legs, my elbows come forward as I pull up, so that I maintain balance. Is this correct form? If I hang from a pullupbar I can keep my elbows more or less in the coronal plane (ie in line with my body).  The focus point states "The addition of the L-sit precludes the torso from tilting forwards during the ascent". True, if the elbows come forward.
 

Jin Liu

How much are your elbows in front your body? I guess a little to counter balance would be acceptable. But if a lot like in a chin up would be too much..

My impression on all Lsits from a hanging position is that the hip will move backwards to counter balance the weight of legs in the front (correct me if I’m wrong). So if you view from the side, even if you maintain an upright upper back, your butt will be pushed backwards to counter balance. I feel it’s possible have elbows in line with the body once you’ve got something else to counter the legs.. 

Everett Carroll

Great answer Jin.

Nick, in this progression we want to work as hard as possible to keep the elbows and hands in line with the shoulders. From what it sounds like, you need more retraction in order to be able to achieve this. Can you send in a form check?

Nick Murray

https://youtu.be/PN4hTA-A1l0

3 reps. I can see:

Rep 1: ascent is ok

Rep 2: forget I even did this one

Rep 3: stronger retraction. L sit is terrible (from training yesterday).

 

Nick Murray
11 hours ago, Jin Liu said:

HMy impression on all Lsits from a hanging position is that the hip will move backwards to counter balance the weight of legs in the front (correct me if I’m wrong).

If the hips are "back", then the torso leans forward, by definition. As the rings are a free physical system, the centre of mass will always be beneath the rings. If the hips are flexed to an L-sit, some of the body's mass moves fowards. So something has to move backwards to balance.

So:

1. If the torso is upright, and over the hips, AND the shoulders and elbows are in the same plane then the shoulders can't be fully externally rotated (see the right hand sketch-red line is directly under rings and will be where the centre of mass lies). In this case the elbows have to be in front of the body. You canna change the laws of physics!

2. If anyone can L-sit off rings with full external rotation and torso/shoulders in the same plane (left hand sketch) I'm happy to be proven wrong.

2. RCPE12.thumb.png.97bc6668efdcbb0df466eabb6141c429.png

Jin Liu
9 hours ago, Nick Murray said:

https://youtu.be/PN4hTA-A1l0

3 reps. I can see:

Rep 1: ascent is ok

Rep 2: forget I even did this one

Rep 3: stronger retraction. L sit is terrible (from training yesterday).

 

3rd one looks good to me. I recall when I was doing it, you can def have your hands next to your ears when you retract strongly. My cue is to have the elbows aligned with ears/shoulder/upper back. The rest of the body won't be in a vertical line bc of the weight of legs. 

Found a vid of how i did it before. While the whole torso is not fully in the same plane, I tried hard to retract the shoulders and keep the upper half of the torso in the same plane as much as I could. Am open to criticism.

 

Nick Murray

Thanks Jin. It's a work in progress. It would maybe be possible to have arms etc all in the plane of the body, with the change in angle happening only at the hands, however the torque on the shoulders would be inhumanly large.