This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Progressive Training

Started by Michael Vetter, March 24, 2018 · 1 Replies · 75 Views

Michael Vetter

Recently read a book about strength training.

They said the goal should be to progressively increase an exercise in every workout. Either the weight or one more rep (I guess in bodyweight training/gymnastics we could add the quality of form).

I suppose this is easier done in training with weights. But wanted to ask if it applies to bodyweight training in general too and specifically in gymnastics strength training?

 

Since thinking about this I also wanted to ask: At what rate should one ideally progress from one PE to the next? I think I read some rough estimate here on the board some time ago but don't remember and cannot find it anymore.

Marek Dibusz

Hey, from what I recall, one should progress when it feels good to do so - meaning, perfect form, finishing strong, sure of himself.  So I guess if you can perform a perfect form on step 9 and have some more juice left - why not, go forth.

 

About the progressive loading of your muscles... again, IIRC, the bigger question is the connective tissue not necessarily the muscles. It takes a lot more time to strenghten the ligaments.

And those are prone to injuries if not taken care of properly.  In the past, I read about overloading - normal-underloading ... People tend to shorten the underload jumping to the good  stuff ommiting the joints and ligaments that are just getting acquinted. 

But if there is someone with more experience so as to shed light on the topic, please do so.

Have a nice day =),

Marek