This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Half hanging leg lifts on rings?

Started by Fiona Silk, March 24, 2018 · 5 Replies · 122 Views

Fiona Silk

Hi,

If I am very careful to stop myself swinging around, is there any reason not to do the half hanging leg lifts (PE4) on rings?  I don't have stall bars. 

If not, could you explain why? What advantage does it have that your back is supported, apart from to eliminate momentum and to ensure the hip flexors are working?

Thanks!

Fi

Fiona Silk

Hi, just bumping this up to the top again! Any thoughts appreciated as I'm going to do this workout in 12 hours time! Thanks :)

Callum Muntz

Hey Fiona, mate I'd say do what you can. If you don't have stall bars then using rings would be better than nothing!

I haven't had access to stall bars recently and just used a standard pull up bar. Not ideal but better than nothing.

Jin Liu
On 3/24/2018 at 8:33 AM, Fiona Silk said:

This is a link to a video me doing them: https://photos.app.goo.gl/bdFUvVcRUk9QMD4q2

I think they look good! Keep the good control for preventing the body from swinging. In my opinion, the rings works for knee raises, and maybe even straight leg raises (not past horizontal), and you are not engaging the lats and leaning backwards to lift the legs up. However, when you are at the PE which requires legs to go above the head, stall bar is a much better option, or anything behind your back that can prevent you from leaning backwards would work.

Jennifer Marie

I can't view the video due to restrictions on the work computer, but I agree with Jin. As long as you're not using your lats and micro tipping backwards to complete the movement, you should be okay.

I would be curious what a coach would say about hand position on rings though. For example, a ring pull up is easier than a bar pull up for me because I can turn my palms inward. Would this movement be affected by a different position of the hands? I don't think so, since we're isolating the abs/hips/etc, but I'm not a coach.