This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Push ups/rows and dips/pull ups

Started by Petra Kmecová, March 23, 2018 · 9 Replies · 377 Views

Petra Kmecová

So, this is my pesimistic side talking... Or perhaps realistic!?... 

In a while it will be my one year anniversary of doing GB foundations and I there's something on my mind for quite some time. During this year, I learned a lot about how my body functions, got rid of lower back pain and feel perfect over all. 

I'm OK with the progress I've made on F7 exercises - some of them are going slower, some OK. Like a lot of people here, I'm on push ups and grownd rows with no light at the end of the tunel. I am OK with the fact that need to be doing those for eternity. 

But...... One of my goals in january 2017 (!!!) was to learn dips and pull ups and somewhere around this time in 2017 I chose GB as a structures tool to achieve it. And it's march 2018 and I am nowhere near the easiest progressions of dips and pull ups. 

I'll be honest... I have no intension of ever doing hollow back press or rope climb (and that is my realistic side talking), but dips and pull ups would be nice... :-). So I started to play a bit with bench dips and bent arm hanging, because I feel like I should be doing something towards this goals. I don't want to skipp progressions - stop working on push ups and rows, but rather work on both push/pull variations simultaneously - horizontal and vertical. Not jumping too far ahead, but staring slow with bench dips and bent arm chin hangs.

What are your thoughts on this idea? Has anybody gone that route before and it did not payed off? 

Thanks, Petra

Petra Kmecová

Hmmm, something went wrong and I posted this topic twice.. And I dont know how to delete it.... 

I'm sorry, hope someone responsible will erase it... Thanks

 

Leigh Kettle

Hey petra

I’m not a coach but i read coach say that after your gb sessions , working on things like pull ups / dips / maintenance of strength work etc can be done but limited to around 10 minutes at the end of the session .

this will mean you won’t overload tendons etc that are being looked after and conditioned  with how your gb programming is structured and ultimately have less chance of injury etc ... after all having  to rest coz you’ve done too much/Injured won’t get you any further any quicker 

all the best 

Leigh 

 

Everett Carroll

Leigh nailed it. Feel free to play with more advanced strength progressions for 5-10 minutes post-workout. Just be sure to treat it as play and not fall into training them hard. The majority of your energy should be focused on your current progressions and additional mobility drills. 

Petra Kmecová

Thanks @Leigh Kettle and @Everett Carroll.

I'll continue to play. 5-10 minutes is what I am doing right now when I have some energy left after my official upper body workout. I learned that when I "overdo" my training and litteraly work myself out, it's a step back.... Teribble recovery, constant fatigue and sweet cravings... Don't want to go that way again, so I'll keep it in low intensity. 

And I hope it's OK to post a formcheck for those exercises. 

Have a nice weekend, petra

 

Everett Carroll
On 3/23/2018 at 10:48 PM, Petra Kmecová said:

And I hope it's OK to post a formcheck for those exercises. 

Absolutely. 

Petra Kmecová

Hi once again, 

I decided to post a formcheck videos for bench dips and chin up hangs here, because here I reasoned why I am doing those exercises although I'm obviously not on these progressions yet.... and I sort of got an aproval to do so... :-). 

So, how does it look? 

Thanks.... 

Petra Kmecová

bump

Jeffrey Bittner

Awesome job, Petra! On your chin hang, try to avoid arching your spine by keeping your core engaged. Overall, nice work!

Petra Kmecová

Thanks @Jeffrey Bittner.