This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hip Swivel difficulty

Started by Jared Bolger, March 23, 2018 · 4 Replies · 221 Views

Jared Bolger

Hi guys,

I've be doing GST for 7-9 weeks now (incl. the fundamentals series) I am quite happy with my progress between mobility, strength, fitness, and mobility. But, there is one exercise in particular that I really don't seem to be making any progress with, Hip Swivels. I don't feel comfortable with the sequence - it either feels like there is undue pressure on my knee when I try to press from side - side or my hip joint and femur feels akward - like a grinding. So, between creating tension in my knee or creating discomfort and potential "grinding" in my hip and femur, I really can't say I have noticed any improvement with this exercise.

I was considering uploading a video review, but for now I don't have any recording device.

I have read one suggestion talking about doing some myofacial massage around the side of the hips with a Lacrosse ball - don't think their in aubundant supply in Australia though, but I could probably order one or find something similar.

I'd really love to hear from anyone else who has had the same problem and has progress through it, or any of the more experienced GSTer's out there!

 

Thanks in advance,

Jared

Alessandro Mainente

HI Jared, the swivel hip can be a very very very long term process is there is hips range of motion limitation. It took me something like 7 years to master it correctly.

Antonio Alías Montoya

Hi Jared, I ve been 1 and a half year working on swivel hips. First 8 months I didn t see any progress and now I m halfway towards mastery. I recommend you to strecht your gluteus, piriformis and fascia lata tensor before doing swivel hips. Also when holding the strecht as Wesley suggest don t put all the weight of you other leg on your stretched leg if that s painful. And if rom is very limited allow your butt to come off the ground a bit, just for now. I ve been doing swivel hips 3-4 times a week for the last year. 1 or 2 times is probably not enough. If you feel too much tightness you better hold the strecht at a low intensity but for long time. That s my experience with it. Good luck.

Christopher Hancox

Hi Jared,

I have found that release work is useful before trying swivel hips. Use a tennis ball and lie sideways on it, placing it between you greater trochanter and iliac crest. It's agony if your tight in that area and takes a bit of deep breathing to get the muscles to relax. 

As for the knee pain, try not pushing your knee to the floor, rather twisting at the hip. 

Jared Bolger

Ok thanks for the advice guys.

I do the daily limber routine as a warm-up before all GST workouts, and have started using a tennis ball to do some myofascial release. I'll pay close attention to how it all feels and really focus on this area. I have difficulty with my frog positions as well and I can't help but think it is all related to the stiff hips or and joints.

As it is said "a journey of a 1000 miles begins with a single step"

So, I realise that in the search of better health and fitness it's going to take time and commitment.

Thanks guys,