This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Winged Scapula

Started by Samuel Hai, March 21, 2018 · 6 Replies · 151 Views

Samuel Hai

Hey guys,

Anyone have any experience with a winged scapula and shoulder impingement? Definitely looking for pointers on how you got rid of those conditions.

I'm asking because I love the Thoracic Bridge series. Doing it causes no real pain, but I'm curious if doing thoracic Bridges with an impingement/winged scapula will worsen any joint/muscle issues

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Samuel, consider that all overhead movement can increase the problems when an impingement already exists.

Winged scapulae can be caused by rounded shoulder posture something which correlates also with impingement.

said that if you solve the rounded shoulders and you correct the winging position you can solve the problem.

THe causes of the winged scapulae can be multiple and also the rounded shoulder posture. 

a PT check is required.

Samuel Hai

Well, just got EMG and NCS tests done today, and the doc ruled out any nerve damage, so it's most likely 9-to-5 related, in addition to the imbalances created from being an unathletic violinist for 10 years. Looks like I'll just have to put my faith in the PT for at least the next 6 weeks.

Any recommendations on substitutes for the TB series in the meantime (besides the PT exercises)?

Fiona Silk

Sorry if I'm missing something, but I don't understand why you wouldn't do the TB series? It will help your muscle imbalances and improve scapula position.

Alessandro Mainente
11 hours ago, Fiona Silk said:

Sorry if I'm missing something, but I don't understand why you wouldn't do the TB series? It will help your muscle imbalances and improve scapula position.

actually no, the winded scapulae is connected with weak specific muscles. in the TB series exercises for these weaknesses are specifically presented not presented. you can find people with perfect bridge and decent handstand but still having winged scapulae.

Fiona Silk
5 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

actually no, the winded scapulae is connected with weak specific muscles. in the TB series exercises for these weaknesses are specifically presented not presented. you can find people with perfect bridge and decent handstand but still having winged scapulae.

How do you mean "in the TB series exercises for these weaknesses are specifically presented not presented"? Should people with winged scapula not do TB - will it make it worse? I have them, but figured they would naturally correct as a result of F1 and TB. 

Alessandro Mainente

keyboard errors.

I'm stating that if you think that winged scapulae can be managed with TB course, the answer is no. it cannot make it worse for sure.

The winged scapula is a common dysfunction and we cannot pretend that one course can solve all the problems.

As I stated before there are 2 levels of winged scapulae. they need specific exercises that begin to the world of the PT.