This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS PE6>iM Standing Undergrip Dislocate with Weighted Bar

Started by Bill Marr, March 20, 2018 · 9 Replies · 298 Views

Bill Marr

Just started HS PE6 today. I have no problem with PE5>iM Standing Overgrip Dislocate with Weighted Bar with 10lbs+ at near-shoulder width. But this Undergrip thing!? Forget the weighted bar part -- even trying it with a wooden dowel with hands spread as far as possible, not only does it feel totally unnatural, but impossible for this set of shoulders to do. Can't get the bar even close to going over top of my head. What's the secret to even starting this one? Is it all mental? Like someone who is double-jointed, is this something that some people's physiology just isn't capable of doing?

Sincerely,

Undergrip Challenged

Michaël Van den Berg

I'm not there yet so I'm not really in the position to provide advice, but are you allowing full internal rotation of your arms and 'overpronation' of the wrists when you move the bar from back to front? I did try this exercise a couple of times for fun and if I recall correctly, when you use a very wide grip you will end up with your hands in a very 'twisted' position (which will only start looking 'normal' when your grip is approaching shoulder width).

Bill Marr

Not a chance for this one! Michaël  -- I moved the bar to near shoulder width. Tried it from the front and rear. No way that bar is going over my head with my hands in that position. I did 5 x 5 overgrip with 11lbs on the bar and near-shoulder width no problem today.

Anyone else have an issue with this mobility? Were you able to solve it? I'll complete mastery of PE6 strength component in the next two weeks and don't want to hold back my HS progression with something I'm not even sure I can physiologically do.

Alessandro Mainente

HI BIll, can you post a video? I suspect a thing but I want to see one attempt.

Bill Marr

Will do next week.

Andy Vitus

I have the same problem. It seems completely impossible. And I also have no problems with the overgrip dislocates.

Milda

Hi all, I'm on the same step and i can't do that Standing Undergrip Dislocate that feels very awkward and impossible. I can do 10 and even more reps  of Prone Floor Handstand Flexion Pulses with Weighted Bar but can't do any single rep of this mobility. What should i do to progress further?

Alessandro Mainente
On 10/22/2020 at 4:59 PM, Rytis Ramanauskas said:

Hi all, I'm on the same step and i can't do that Standing Undergrip Dislocate that feels very awkward and impossible. I can do 10 and even more reps  of Prone Floor Handstand Flexion Pulses with Weighted Bar but can't do any single rep of this mobility. What should i do to progress further?

Hey Rytis, can you please post your execution of the IM1 and IM3 respectively the shoulder flexion and shoulder extension?

Rytis Ramanauskas
On 10/24/2020 at 2:13 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hey Rytis, can you please post your execution of the IM1 and IM3 respectively the shoulder flexion and shoulder extension?

Hi Alessandro thank you for you respond. There are my IM1 and IM2 executions, it's obvious that my extension is very poor and I'm not sure how long would it take for me to extend my arms up to 90 degrees. My flexion isn't perfect either but it's better when comparing with extension. And I can do all of the handstand work but these IMs are challenging. What should i do? 

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

hey Rytis, i'm going to talk only about the flexion (IM1) that should be revisited first. if you notice the posterior view you are doing the classic mistake of beginning the dislocate. Using the dislocate is different from pure shoulder flexion that has no dislocated component. in a simple word, the upper arm does not rotate.