This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Stretching Plateau

Started by Dan Ordoins, March 15, 2018 · 17 Replies · 267 Views

Dan Ordoins

In the beginning I made great progress and gains.  I’ve seem now (been over a year now) to have hit a plateau in my gains.  Any suggestions?  

Make the stretches a bit more intense?

more off day random stretching?

Just keep going?

Some Days I seem tight and sore but after going through one of the series I really warm up and can go deep into the stretches.  Just later after that the gains seem to reset back  

Thanks - Dan

Everett Carroll

Hey Dan,

How much limbering and other mobility work are you doing throughout the week? Also, have you been consistent with performing each series once per week for the whole year?

Alessandro Mainente
5 hours ago, Dan Ordoins said:

In the beginning I made great progress and gains.  I’ve seem now (been over a year now) to have hit a plateau in my gains.  Any suggestions?  

Make the stretches a bit more intense?

more off day random stretching?

Just keep going?

Some Days I seem tight and sore but after going through one of the series I really warm up and can go deep into the stretches.  Just later after that the gains seem to reset back  

Thanks - Dan

Are you following any type of strength training for calves, glutes, hips flexor and hamstring?

Dan Ordoins
8 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Are you following any type of strength training for calves, glutes, hips flexor and hamstring?

Yes to all. 

Yes been pretty consistent for the year. All three programs. Strength training MWF

mobility TTSun 

i do Mobility yoga type and warm up each morning when I get up and some Light stuff at night. 

Also prehap and mobility warm up pre strength work. 

 

Thanks for the replies. 

Jonas Berglund
12 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Are you following any type of strength training for calves, glutes, hips flexor and hamstring?

Hi Alessandro, would the FSS 3*60calferaises once per week be enough to say we are doing calves strength training?

thanks

Alessandro Mainente
2 hours ago, Jonas Berglund said:

Hi Alessandro, would the FSS 3*60calferaises once per week be enough to say we are doing calves strength training?

thanks

Unfortunately not.

Alessandro Mainente
13 hours ago, Dan Ordoins said:

Yes to all. 

Yes been pretty consistent for the year. All three programs. Strength training MWF

mobility TTSun 

i do Mobility yoga type and warm up each morning when I get up and some Light stuff at night. 

Also prehap and mobility warm up pre strength work. 

 

Thanks for the replies. 

What does consist your strength training?

Jonas Berglund
27 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Unfortunately not.

Thanks, does any exercise(s) in the foundation course cover the calve strengthening? I cant think of anyone specific. 

Dan Ordoins
3 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

What does consist your strength training?

Push/ Pull alternated A1-B1-A2-B2 etc.... MWF

mostly body weight strength work with some added weights for some moves. 

Legs cosist of 

A1 - pistols 2 sets of 6 RPT, harob curl 1 set of 10, single leg calf raise 1 set of 10

A2 - Leg Press, 8-4-2 rest pause , sissy squats 1 set of 10, leg press calf’s 1 set of 12

 

Alessandro Mainente
13 hours ago, Jonas Berglund said:

Thanks, does any exercise(s) in the foundation course cover the calve strengthening? I cant think of anyone specific. 

When we talk about front split series we cannot limit the problem to calves, quads, hips flexors, hamstring, abs, psoas, glutes are important too.

Alessandro Mainente
10 hours ago, Dan Ordoins said:

Push/ Pull alternated A1-B1-A2-B2 etc.... MWF

mostly body weight strength work with some added weights for some moves. 

Legs cosist of 

A1 - pistols 2 sets of 6 RPT, harob curl 1 set of 10, single leg calf raise 1 set of 10

A2 - Leg Press, 8-4-2 rest pause , sissy squats 1 set of 10, leg press calf’s 1 set of 12

 

Why this sets and reps and why these exercises? is a self made routine or is something given you by a trainer?

Dan Ordoins
3 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Why this sets and reps and why these exercises? is a self made routine or is something given you by a trainer?

My own

Alessandro Mainente

Actually, in your schedule, there is no strength training and the structure is completely unbalanced in favor of pushing without a correct balance with curling and hips extension. this can be the cause of your plateau.

My suggestion is to stay away from self-made training, foundations are pretty balanced.

Dan Ordoins
1 hour ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Actually, in your schedule, there is no strength training and the structure is completely unbalanced in favor of pushing without a correct balance with curling and hips extension. this can be the cause of your plateau.

My suggestion is to stay away from self-made training, foundations are pretty balanced.

I also incorporate planche work, straddle HS Press, front lever and flag work. 

And of course press with rings and OA PU along with OACU and pull ups. 

I also have a day of tumbling.  Back flips, handsprings, rolling cartwheels etc  

Anyway. Are you say the stretching series is only effective if doing the foundation courses and don’t work around and with other strength or movement routines?

thanks for your help!

Jonas Berglund
10 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

When we talk about front split series we cannot limit the problem to calves, quads, hips flexors, hamstring, abs, psoas, glutes are important too.

I am aware of that alessandro. I asked about calves because its the only one of those im not sure i strengthening properly, and based on your answer i wasnt. 

Antonio Alías Montoya
4 hours ago, Jonas Berglund said:

I am aware of that alessandro. I asked about calves because its the only one of those im not sure i strengthening properly, and based on your answer i wasnt. 

I thought it was enough. I m doing  3x60 reps twice a week. If that s not enough then how much should we do: 4-5 sets or maybe single leg calf raises @Alessandro Mainente?

Alessandro Mainente

We are different, some of us need more central control in order to release some tissues, some of us need less. What I learned from my experience is that the tight you are the stronger you need to be to release tissues.

Alessandro Mainente
17 hours ago, Dan Ordoins said:

I also incorporate planche work, straddle HS Press, front lever and flag work. 

And of course press with rings and OA PU along with OACU and pull ups. 

I also have a day of tumbling.  Back flips, handsprings, rolling cartwheels etc  

Anyway. Are you say the stretching series is only effective if doing the foundation courses and don’t work around and with other strength or movement routines?

thanks for your help!

The general idea is that the GB programs are made to be merged together in order to obtain the best results. for the strength I was referring to legs, the pushing in your routine is much more than curling and hips extension.