This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

How much is too much on nuts?

Started by Felipe Garcia Rosa, March 12, 2018 · 9 Replies · 140 Views

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Hey there,

I am currently eating 50-60 grams of nuts (plus some dates) at breakfast and 40 grams at 6PM per the healthy fats lesson. Is 90-100 grams of nuts per day too much?

Thanks!

Everett Carroll

Hey Feli,

The short answer is that it depends. What are your weight loss/gain goals? What I mean is, are you trying to maintain your weight, increase muscle, or lose fat? Also, what kind of nuts are we talking about here?

Antonio Alías Montoya

I d say 100 grams of nuts per day is insane! Just my opinion... 100 grams of nuts can be from 550 to 750 calories. Too many calories from a not so nutrient food. There are better options for fat like salmon, red meat or avocado. This is without considering the huge amount of calories you eat in such small volume. If you are already lean and don t gain fat easily is not that bad. However I see it as a wasting of calories that could go for other food, more protein, more starches or fruit or fat but from other sources. Jeff says a handful of nuts when you are on the go. I consider that around 30 grams of nuts

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Hi Everett. My main objective is the handstand so I guess increase muscle would be the goal. I am having cashews, pecans, walnuts and almonds.

Thanks Antonio, that's what I wanted to check, what a handful of nuts meant. I am lean but agree that is a waste of calories. I could phase out the ones at 6PM (I eat between lunch and dinner because of having late dinner) but don't know how to replace.

I already have greek yogurt, nuts and coffee in the morning, and need something to join my coffee and banana in the afternoon (excluding salmon, meat and starches which I would have at dinner).. Any ideas?

Oscar Riaño
5 minutes ago, Felipe Garcia Rosa said:

Hi Everett. My main objective is the handstand so I guess increase muscle would be the goal. I am having cashews, pecans, walnuts and almonds.

Thanks Antonio, that's what I wanted to check, what a handful of nuts meant. I am lean but agree that is a waste of calories. I could phase out the ones at 6PM (I eat between lunch and dinner because of having late dinner) but don't know how to replace.

I already have greek yogurt, nuts and coffee in the morning, and need something to join my coffee and banana in the afternoon (excluding salmon, meat and starches which I would have at dinner).. Any ideas?

A good Snickers or Kinder Bueno would make you the happiest as it happens with me haha

Douglas Wadle

Your picture looks very slim, so I wouldn't worry about the calories, but I do agree it's a lot from a single source, so more variety is important.  My biggest concern would be the amount of omega-6.  It's going to be very challenging to get enough omega-3 to counterbalance that.  High omega-6:omega-3 ratio is thought to be bad for your vascular health.  If you're eating a lot of nuts, I would make sure to counterbalance it with a bunch of sardines, salmon, and other fish.

Everett Carroll

Good point about the omega ratio as well as simply getting in variety @Douglas Wadle Those are great suggestions.

@Felipe Garcia Rosa I'm pretty bad about eating enough fish, so I take 1-2 servings of liquid omega-3s every day. I also add flax seeds to my salads and smoothies occasionally, which are also super high in omega-3. 

Keep eating plenty!

 

Antonio Alías Montoya
1 hour ago, Felipe Garcia Rosa said:

 

I already have greek yogurt, nuts and coffee in the morning, and need something to join my coffee and banana in the afternoon (excluding salmon, meat and starches which I would have at dinner).. Any ideas?

I m not the best person to give you snack ideas because I don t snack, I always eat 3-4 big meals. However I d say some good ideas that don t need cooking are cotagge cheese, smoked salmon, cured meats (like prosciutto, but be careful because it has a lot of salt), half an avocado with veggies, casein or whey protein or a spoon of coconut butter in the coffe. My favourite sweet snack is protein pudding or protein fluff. Smash a banana on it and use whole milk for more calories, some nuts on tastes also amazing. Search on the web for dozens of recipes. Be aware that casein will take always longer to digest. For gaining mass you are better with whey.

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Thanks all for the suggestions! Will definitely reduce the amount of nuts to something like 40-50 grams per day and eat more fish. For my in-between meal will add something I could buy at the morning and keep in my desk until 6PM such as cottage cheese as Antonio suggested with some cookies maybe. I understand that more fat is good (for this in-between snack) as long as you diversify sources. How about a Kinder Bueno and no sundays off? is it a good trade off? :)

Everett Carroll
12 minutes ago, Felipe Garcia Rosa said:

How about a Kinder Bueno and no sundays off? is it a good trade off? :)

LOL, I'd say so.