This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Easing into HBP/PE2

Started by Michaël Van den Berg, March 12, 2018 · 5 Replies · 227 Views

Michaël Van den Berg

Hello all, I'm thinking of doing a series of 'HBP/PE1.5' (incline pushups at knee height instead of hip height) as an intermediate step to ease into full HBP/PE2. I am currently moving to PE1 step 7 (4x12r) and while I make good progress, I have some issues with my left shoulder that I'm taking care of (physio, osteopathy). Pushups don't cause me pain but they put some tension in my shoulder and I don't want to aggravate the issue.

Also, if I repeat HBP/PE1 with less incline, should I continue doing German Arm Swings or would you advise me to do very light Xiaopengs as iM instead? Thanks!

Everett Carroll

Hey Michael,

Go for it! Scaling with HBP/PE1.5 with some light Xiaopengs is a great idea. Do German Arm Swings for warmup each day but Xiaopengs can now be your iM for the intermediate HBP step.

Good luck with your shoulder work!

Michaël Van den Berg

Thanks, Everett! I'll be on PE1 for a couple more weeks (assuming progress continues) and then I'll give PE1.5 a go.

Michaël Van den Berg

So, I decided to move directly to PE2 after all and my shoulder feels fine so far. I'm still in the early stages and finetuning my form (will be uploading a form check soon). One thing in particular is eluding me at the moment: I think I read on the forum that the thighs should touch the floor before the chest but that seems to be impossible for me... how strict is this? I know I'm probably overthinking this, but...

Alessandro Mainente

HI Michael, Ideally a unique rigid body like a wood bar will touch in the same time with all the parts BUT the body has some pieces which are outer compared to other, think about knees or the quads.

for evaluation of your form and details, please post a video of your form.

Michaël Van den Berg

That's what I was thinking as well. In my case, if I go down with (what I think is) decent PPT I touch the floor with my chin, chest and pelvis/quads more or less at the same time. I'll post a form check soon. I don't want to overthink it because I know every body is different in its proportions but it never hurts to be sure :) thanks!