Hip Mobility & Progressions

Started by Graham Smith, April 7, 2010 · 1 Replies · 2,534 Views

Graham Smith

I have a question about stretching vs strength and the BtGB progressions. I have very weak / tight hips resulting in very poor straddle flexibility, to the extent that my outer hips can even cramp up just swinging my leg over a motorbike. This makes reducing the leverage on some progressions by straddling very difficult. Now I won't lie, I have a LOT of progressions to get through on levers and planche training before this will become an issue, but I am just wondering, will BtGB training buildup the necessary flexibility by the time that straddle positions become necessary?

I am aware that my hamstring flexibility is drastically improved immediately following V-Sits, suggesting that a large part of my inflexibility could be to do with weakness in the opposing muscles rather than just shortness in the muscles themselves. I note that the popular PNF stretching seems to be as much to do with isometric strengthening of muscles as with just holding elongation. So I guess my question is how much of flexibility is really just about weakness vs strength, and should I be supplementing BtGB with any specific stretches / strengthening to target my weaknesses. I am still eagerly awaiting the opportunity to Coach Sommer more of my money when liquid steel™ etc comes out :wink:

Regards,

Primate

braindx

Stretch everything:

hammies, quads/hip flexors, adductors, abductors, internal and external rotators