This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

IT Band causing me issues

Started by Kevin Easton, March 9, 2018 · 2 Replies · 79 Views

Kevin Easton

About a month ago while training BJJ my knee got progressively painful to the point where walking was painful.

A couple days later I went the Chiro and he said it's my IT band.  Tightness in the hip area and manifesting pain down by the insertion near the knee.  After a treatment it felt way better, but not 100%.

I was told to do some stretches to loosen the muscles around the IT Band.

I have the Middle Split Series and if I try the periformis stretch I get alot of pain in my knee, before the periformis even comes into play.  The same goes for the pigeon pose in yoga.  I can do them on my right side, but on my left side my IT flares up.

Are there any stretches or mobility exercises you can recommend that WON'T put pressure on my knee.

I am hoping I can start to loosen up the muscles around my hips to relieve this IT band issue.

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hey Kevin,

Relaxing your TFL could help you with your IT band.  Either releasing by putting pressure on it or by stretching.  

One good way I like to do it is by positionning yourself in vertical lunge bent, painful leg on the wall and raising the arm on the same side, overhead.  From there, lean a little bit on the opposite direction.

Tell me how it feels!

download.png.b724b0cb96fa311c6d816f060c215e33.png

Alessandro Mainente

Generally speaking, tight gracilis can lead to knee medial rotation and compression on the external part of the knees. I had one client with that problem, physio given him the frog stretch but I do not know WHY the physio had chosen it, simply because it does not work on the multi-joint adductors. the lying middle split exercise should help you.