This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

How to achieve parallel squat (SLS PE2)

Started by Riccardo Zanello, March 9, 2018 · 8 Replies · 206 Views

Riccardo Zanello

Hello,

I currently am working on SLS PE2. I cannot reach parallel squat, despite practicing the coupled mobility.

I suspect the problem is due to achilles, lower back, and hams mobility. 

I am at the moment practicing by holding a dumbell in front of me to balance and thus achieve some mora depth (which I can't achieve also due to imbalance, since my achillea are tight)

Should I keep following the progression and wait for things to unlock themselves with time, or is there a specific exercise I can use to speed things up?

 

Thanks

 

RZ

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Riccardo,

Would you mind posting a video for us? Providing us with a visual will help us to give you better suggestions.

Riccardo Zanello
12 hours ago, Jeffrey Bittner said:

Hi Riccardo,

Would you mind posting a video for us? Providing us with a visual will help us to give you better suggestions.

Hey @Jeffrey Bittner

 

Here it is 

As you can see, I cannot reach any kind of horizontal depth. If I tried to, I would fall back.

thanks for the advice

 

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hey Riccardo,

Thanks for taking the time to post a video! I recommend that you continue working this exercise using a weight for counterbalance. As an additional exercise, I suggest doing an assisted static full squat for about 30 seconds 3-5 times per day. Simply hang onto a something sturdy and squat down as low as you can and hold. This will help to loosen your ankles over time. I also recommend looking into the Front Split course as it contains several stretches that will help you to loosen up your tight ankles.

Riccardo Zanello
16 hours ago, Jeffrey Bittner said:

Hey Riccardo,

Thanks for taking the time to post a video! I recommend that you continue working this exercise using a weight for counterbalance. As an additional exercise, I suggest doing an assisted static full squat for about 30 seconds 3-5 times per day. Simply hang onto a something sturdy and squat down as low as you can and hold. This will help to loosen your ankles over time. I also recommend looking into the Front Split course as it contains several stretches that will help you to loosen up your tight ankles.

Thanks

 

Will do  :)

Mathew Bunch

Had this problem with full squats. I fixed it by using assisted squats in the warm up, with 15-45 seconds in the bottom position for each rep.  You will need to ease your way into this, but over time your hips, knees, and ankles will adjust.  For reference, I am mid 40s, have had two ACL reconstructions, and a torn tibialis posterior tendon.  I now have no trouble or pain with elevated deck squats.  Enjoy!

Alessandro Mainente
On 10/3/2018 at 10:47 AM, Riccardo Zanello said:

Hey @Jeffrey Bittner

 

Here it is 

As you can see, I cannot reach any kind of horizontal depth. If I tried to, I would fall back.

thanks for the advice

 

 

Looking carefully at how much you are leaning forward in order to counterbalance the weight is basically my situation.

hips, knees...have nothing to do in this case. is ankle mobility problem, i suspect that if you try to put something under your heels you can move lower.

Riccardo Zanello
2 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Looking carefully at how much you are leaning forward in order to counterbalance the weight is basically my situation.

hips, knees...have nothing to do in this case. is ankle mobility problem, i suspect that if you try to put something under your heels you can move lower.

Thank you. 

Will try the advice

Jennifer Marie

That Front Split program that Jeff mentioned will do wonders for your squat depth. (And comfort getting there too)