straight arm vs bent arm strength

Started by irongymnast, April 7, 2010 · 8 Replies · 9,006 Views

irongymnast

I started training for the planche one again (I hope consistently this time) and I just discovered that I have horrible straight arm strength. I used to to the progressions with slightly bent arms (didn't notice) and it makes a huge difference. I'm just horrible, I can't do tuck planche for more than 3 seconds and at the advanced frog stand, my elbows kinda hurt because of the weight applied from my feet. It's very unconfortable. I think I may be doing something wrong.

I consider myself competent at most exercises so it's a little surprising for me that I'm so bad at the planche.

Despite all that, I can perform several pseudo planche pushups (like the ones demonstrated by slizzardman in his planche pushup video).

Suggestions?

Guest

Do you perform the other exercises (such as FL, BL) with straight arms?

I don't think you're doing anything wrong when you find out that true straight-arm work in advanced frog stand is a bit uncomfortable/painful in the beginning. My first few posts on this forum were about the exact same issue, actually. But I found that the discomfort quickly disappears when you get used to the position. Experiment a bit and see what works for you - I don't think this exercise is about the exact position of your knees on the back of your arms. It's about learning how to balance your bodyweight on your hands while leaning forward with straight arms. So, find the spot that is the most comfortable (for me, the best spot is just below the elbow).

Pseudo-planche pushups are a good exercise, as are planche leans.

Keep up the good work!

irongymnast

I think that I might not be leaning enough.

Yes I can do (and am doing) BL and tuck FL, PPPU and planche leans.

But thanks I'll try.

Daniel Jorgensen

Try to do your BL with the biceps grip (palms facing down) and remember to lockout and make sure your head moves up and down in a straight line when you do ppps

irongymnast

Dr.=Drizzt?:)

Yeah, I always do BL with neutral palms (on the sides, not facing up or down) and I tried yesterday with palms down and it's more difficult.

I'll try what you suggested in PPPUs.

Joshua Naterman

The easy way to do that with PPP is to put your feet against a wall so that you literally can not rock backwards!

Samuel Carr
slizzardman said:
The easy way to do that with PPP is to put your feet against a wall so that you literally can not rock backwards!

Thats genius. Unless you're using rings though, then your arms can still rock back and forth.

braindx
element3904 said:
slizzardman said:
The easy way to do that with PPP is to put your feet against a wall so that you literally can not rock backwards!

Thats genius. Unless you're using rings though, then your arms can still rock back and forth.

If the rings are actually moving that much it makes it harder. Trust me. :)

Joshua Naterman

Yep! You'll still have to deal with maintaining the ring position. This is the easiest way I have found to ensure that I am replicating the exact same position each workout for all of my push up work.