This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Subluxing Elbow - How to continue?

Started by Jeff Barletta, March 5, 2018 · 3 Replies · 64 Views

Jeff Barletta

About 5 years ago, I dislocated my elbow. I did not do any physiotherapy for it and continued on with my usual form of exercise (weights, sports, etc.).

I started GST about 8 months ago and up until 3 weeks ago, I had zero elbow issues. However, I woke up one morning after a handstand workout and could barely flex my arm to 90 degrees. After resting it for a week and gaining my range of motion back, I attempted the upper body workout and, yet again, woke up the following day in a lot of pain with very limited ROM.

I then visited my PT and, after explaining the situation, my current training, and a thorough examination, she told me that my elbow is so loose from the dislocation 5 years ago that my elbow slightly subluxes every time I lock my arms out in the exercises. She gave me some exercises but she also advised to no longer lock my arms out and to wear an elbow brace from now on.

Is it possible to adequately perform the exercises without locking the elbows? Or will this make future exercises impossible?

Any advice on this would be awesome since I'd love to continue with this program but I am worried about causing even more serious elbow issues.

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Jeff the exercises which need the support of your entire body must be performed like that. on the locked elbow exercise the stress is on the joint while with the bent elbows the stress lay on muscles. Probably a correct physiotherapy after the first luxation was the best choice. Five years after tissue are adapted, there is scar tissue and also less stabilization. I cannot give you more information than these.

Jeff Barletta

Do you think wearing an elbow brace will negatively affect progress or create imbalances moving forward?

Alessandro Mainente

It depends on the nature of the brace, flexible brace does not reduce the range of motion while solid brace (like what you can use after a torn distal bicep surgery) is used to reduce and avoid some range of motion.

Your situation is delicate, I do not risk giving you specific suggestion, sorry,