This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Quality stretch bands and other accessories

Started by Erik Monson, March 5, 2018 · 7 Replies · 182 Views

Erik Monson

Hey GB! 

I’m looking for opinions on some good high quality stretch bands. We need em a lot in the Thoracic Bridge Stretch series, and I have been modifying the exercises in the meantime; I have bands already but I fear they can’t hold the amount of tension with me extending them so far out (I’m near 8’ with my arms extended fully upward to my toes). Any other accessories worth mentioning? 

Thanks!

Tanya Hill

Hi Erik, 

A light weight band works perfect for the band pulls, because you can always increase the tension by moving further away. How much are the bands that you have already?

Erik Monson

Tanya, I’ve got just some basic fitness resistance bands, as well as some Therabands, but they feel like they have a maximum stretch and will snap with much more pulling, and the therabands just don’t offer enough resistance for me. I believe I’ll give those bungees that Devon mentioned a shot. They seem like they have the elasticity I need. I hope! Thanks for the input, you both! 

 

Kenneth Stainback

@Devon O'Neal... did you do something for handles or do you just wrap the ends around your hand? I'd also be curious about which thicknesses are working for you, as there are so many choices.

Devon O'Neal
16 hours ago, Kenneth Stainback said:

@Devon O'Neal... did you do something for handles or do you just wrap the ends around your hand? I'd also be curious about which thicknesses are working for you, as there are so many choices.

I use 1/4" and 5/16". I didn't know what to get at first either, so I just guessed. For the supine band pulls I use the 5/16", and for the prone band pulls I use both the 5/16" and 1/4" together for extra strength to allow me to achieve greater extension because I am stiff and can use some work.  I do use handles that I got from Walmart when I was using fitness bands at first but didn't find them effective. Here are some that I found on Amazon for you. I just searched band handles on Amazon and found these ones but there is more of a variety if you search for yourself to see. I just tie them on the handle.

https://www.amazon.com/Goliton®-Sport-fitness-Resistance-Handles/dp/B00H7WB3BE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1520699697&sr=8-3&keywords=band+handles

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Mountain-Products-Resistance-Handles/dp/B0050IFOEO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1520699818&sr=8-4&keywords=band+handles

https://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Handles-Pair-by-GoFit/dp/B0091M9WYS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1520699818&sr=8-5&keywords=band+handles

Erik Monson

Ah, awesome! Thanks guys. That’s exactly what I was looking for! I’m absurdly stiff too, so I’m probably gonna order a few different types as I graduate into better mobility.

Luke Searra

Erik, feel free to post reviews on the different band types here after you use them all for everyone on the forum!