This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

RC/pe18 formcheck

Started by Johan Hägg, March 4, 2018 · 18 Replies · 156 Views

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Johan, if you can do it on the bar, on the rings is easier for certain reasons.

Johan Hägg

Hey @Alessandro Mainente Is it easier on rings? I thought it was harder on rings.

Alessandro Mainente

On the rings when you move to inverted position there is no longer work on the lats, on the other side when you reach the inverted position on the bar on you are still working with the lats .

Jin Liu
11 hours ago, Johan Hägg said:

Hello!

I’ve just started this progression, first time doing the movement. How do my form look? Does it seem that I understand the movement? Any pointers or cues? Thanks in advance. @Jin Liu I’m here :)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kLTyTAgfWod5S9ocSIewtmKdJUrKNF60

Oh man, you look good!!! I’m jealous. I can’t keep myself from swinging down, which makes it harder to reverse the direction. And I can’t help myself piking a ton when coming back up. I think you look really good bro!!! I agree that doing it on rings is harder than on the bar, except for maybe staying in the inverted position bc the bar is kinda in the way. Good job!! Keep up the good work!!!

Jin Liu

I’m not sure if I get coach’s comment about working the lats when doing it on the bar. For me, controlling the swing on the rings is more difficult...

Keilani Gutierrez
2 hours ago, Jin Liu said:

I’m not sure if I get coach’s comment about working the lats when doing it on the bar. For me, controlling the swing on the rings is more difficult...

have you tried inverted hangs on a PB bar like the progression in Front Lever? since you’re not between the rings, you’re leaning and you need to pull your hands down hard towards your hip to stay up and keep a straight body. it’s brutal. :D

Alessandro Mainente
13 hours ago, Keilani Gutierrez said:

have you tried inverted hangs on a PB bar like the progression in Front Lever? since you’re not between the rings, you’re leaning and you need to pull your hands down hard towards your hip to stay up and keep a straight body. it’s brutal. :D

Keilani pointed out perfectly. remember that, if for you is harder on the rings (for example due to swing), is because the rhythm of the movement is not correct. 

Jin Liu
On 3/4/2018 at 10:49 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Keilani pointed out perfectly. remember that, if for you is harder on the rings (for example due to swing), is because the rhythm of the movement is not correct. 

Thanks @Keilani Gutierrez. I’m not there yet at the FL progression, but I see what you mean. It is much harder to inverted hang with a slight angle on a straight bar than vertically between the rings. 

@Alessandro Mainente by rhythm do you mean I need to slow down, or is there something else I’m not thinking about at all? Cuz I’m trying very hard to slow down the last 45 degrees to vertical, but it just swings down... 

Johan Hägg

@Jin Liu thanks a lot! It’s a pretty hard move I think and it will take a lot of work to get right! Have you posted any top pull-clips? Thanks again, really appreciate your words!

Alessandro Mainente

NIce work on the bar.

With rhythm, I mean the coordination between hips, elbows and shoulder angles. when it changes, rings begin to move.

Johan Hägg

@Alessandro Mainente thank you! The mastery requires movement done on rings right? Is it wise to work up to 5x5 on bar to build strength and then switch to rings?

Jin Liu
14 hours ago, Johan Hägg said:

@Jin Liu Have you posted any top pull-clips? 

Nope, my reps are so ugly right now and not at all presentable. And I’m not sure how to improve it :(. Should I wait till I catch up on the FL progression? Should I also start doing it on a bar before switching to the rings? Right now I’m working on slowing down the negatives, but I always swing during the last 30 degree or so, and I have no clue how to get better...

Alessandro Mainente
3 hours ago, Johan Hägg said:

@Alessandro Mainente thank you! The mastery requires movement done on rings right? Is it wise to work up to 5x5 on bar to build strength and then switch to rings?

rings is ok for mastery, But I would not be surprised if you gain a lot of strength in front lever by mastering it on the bar! up to you my friend.

Johan Hägg
On 2018-03-07 at 8:21 AM, Jin Liu said:

Nope, my reps are so ugly right now and not at all presentable. And I’m not sure how to improve it :(. Should I wait till I catch up on the FL progression? Should I also start doing it on a bar before switching to the rings? Right now I’m working on slowing down the negatives, but I always swing during the last 30 degree or so, and I have no clue how to get better...

Ah ok! Try it on bar! Slightly more demanding strength-wise i think but more stable than rings, i will work mastery at bar then the same at rings. IF im not mistaken i feel like on bar more oriented towards strength and a little less skill, and vice versa on rings :)

Johan Hägg
23 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

rings is ok for mastery, But I would not be surprised if you gain a lot of strength in front lever by mastering it on the bar! up to you my friend.

Thank you for fast answer! Then i will go for mastery on bar first!

Johan Hägg

@Jin Liu you could always change leverage as well; tucked top-pulls, straddle top pulls etc. that could work! 

Jin Liu
1 hour ago, Johan Hägg said:

@Jin Liu you could always change leverage as well; tucked top-pulls, straddle top pulls etc. that could work! 

Good idea! I’ll try that! :)