This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

RC P1 rings height

Started by Riccardo Zanello, March 3, 2018 · 13 Replies · 227 Views

Riccardo Zanello

Hello,

I reviewed the RC Pe1 videos and noticed how in the follow along videos, the rings are set so that the TOP rim of each ring is BELOW the top rim of the shoulders (i.e. the rings are chest hieght)

In the technique videos, the rings are placed so that the LOWER rim of the ring is at TOP shoulder rim height (higher than shoulder height)

 

Which one is the most correct height to set the rings?

 

Thanks 

 

RZ

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Riccardo, the lower part of the rings should be at shoulder height.

Riccardo Zanello

Thanks @Alessandro Mainente

Michael Stanwyck

I'm absolutely stuck here. Is my problem ring height? I have been at 4x9 for months. My rings are much lower than you're suggesting and I'm pulling to the bottom of my rib cage.

 

If this is set up right, do you have any tips?? I can't believe how little progress I've made in this movement!

Alessandro Mainente

Your variation is harder for the lats, you must be able to touch the shoulders with the thumbs in the locked position.

Michael Stanwyck

Good to know!

Riccardo Zanello
11 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Your variation is harder for the lats, you must be able to touch the shoulders with the thumbs in the locked position.

Independently of rings height, my hands cannot touch the shoulders in the locked position. I cannot come even closer to touch my shoulders with the thumbs, and I think it is a mobility problem.

I have thought of doing  some specific mobility exercise like using elastic bands to pull my arms from behind to increase my rom.

 

Any other specific exercise to increase the shoulder retraction?

 

Thanks 

 

RZ

Everett Carroll

Can you please submit a video of your row form, Riccardo? Sometimes this can be a quick fix. 

Riccardo Zanello
37 minutes ago, Everett Carroll said:

Can you please submit a video of your row form, Riccardo? Sometimes this can be a quick fix. 

 

Here it is. The hands always stay 1-2 inches far from the delts in locked position

Everett Carroll

Try lowering the rings 2-4 inches. I think they may just be set a bit too high. 

Alessandro Mainente
4 hours ago, Riccardo Zanello said:

 

Here it is. The hands always stay 1-2 inches far from the delts in locked position

Lovely italian voice!!! well if you hold the neutral or the prone grip is harder to compress completely the forearm on the upper arm due to the overlapping of the bones.

Riccardo Zanello
11 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Lovely italian voice!!! well if you hold the neutral or the prone grip is harder to compress completely the forearm on the upper arm due to the overlapping of the bones.

Hey @Alessandro Mainente it's always a bit weird to hear others from your own nations in an international communities, isn't it?

 

Btw, I now do turn my palms in a supine position at the locked part of the exercise, as you suggested me to do. 

Today I did experiment with lowering the rings so that their centre was at my mid delts height.

Nonetheless, I can't seem to ever be able to touch my delts with my thumbs. I cannot even my shoulders with my hands when I try to touch them now, while not performing an exercise.

While it might be due to a strength deficit in the last part of the movement, it seems like it's due to a mobility problem. 

I can pinch the shoulder blades together, as in the PL/PE1. It seems the problem is due to a lack of flexion of my forearms on my arms.

Even if I flex my forearms on my arms (like when performing a dumbell curl), my forearms always stop way before my hands can reach my shoulder.

Any advice? 

Thanks

Alessandro Mainente

probably your triceps are a bit tight, simply try to stretch by pressing your palm on the outside edge of the shoulders.

Riccardo Zanello
14 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

probably your triceps are a bit tight, simply try to stretch by pressing your palm on the outside edge of the shoulders.

Thanks

Will do