This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

“Playtime” after HS workout

Started by Petra Kmecová, March 3, 2018 · 5 Replies · 191 Views

Petra Kmecová

Hi everybody, 

I have a question about playing with handstand after a workout. I’ve read about it here on the forum multiple times and I think all of us (still working on earlier progressions) is “guilty” from kicking into a HS here and there ... :-).

One guestion that can sum it up would be:

How much are we actually allowed to go into a handstand? Precisely ... in order not to built bad habits but have some fun. And what would be the best way to “play”.

 

For example, here is what I do (twice a week):

I would warm up and do my HS1 and HS2 progressions as planned for the day. 

After that I would play with chest to wall HS ... trying to focus on proper form clues like elevating shoulders, ppt ... I would do that 4-5 times for about 10-20 sec and to keep the structure “GB friendly” I pair it with shoulder extension mobility that still needs tons of work. Then I do PPT drills (later iM’s) for 5 sets of 5r and try few kick ups into a HS (Short holds begin to happed).

Is that OK to do?

I’m asking this, because from all the GB curriculum I currently do, handstand is the only element I really care to master. I’m working on foundations and stretch series to develop stronger and balanced body, but i don’t see myself doing planche or hbp ever in my life ;-).

And since GST training is my freetime/funtime activity, but on the other hand I understand that mobility needs to be fixed and focused on, would this be a good compromise between doing what needs to be done and whats “fun”.

Thanks :-)

 

Pauline Taube

Hi Petra,

Feel free to continue playing around with handstand elements as long as you have more energy. Following the GB curriculum alongside will help you from building bad habits :) 

Suzanna McGee

I started to play around with kicking-up to the handstand (back to the wall) just because I realized that I don't know AT ALL how to use my hands for balancing… all the time I spent in handstands belly to the wall, I would not balance on my hands, as I was scared to fall over on my back if I leave the wall…  So I am not kicking up into it as a "play time", but still focusing on PPT and all the right things to do, while discovering what my hands and fingers should be doing… 

Petra Kmecová

@Suzanna McGee - that’s exactly how I’m doing it ... I’ve read some theory about it (how to push through finger and through heels of your hand, etc...) and I’m trying this stuff myself ... 

Trying this I’ve really appreciated wrist prep for the first time ... ;-). 

I called it “playtime”, because officialy ... taking into account PE I currently work on, I should have no business even with chest to wall HS ... ;-(

Petra Kmecová

My plan is to learn the bailout and “play” in chest to wall .... but spring has to come first for this to happen, because I don’t have enough space for this inside (or it’s near the stairs) and it’s freezing cold outside where I live ... like -10 degr right now ;-(

Suzanna McGee

@Petra Kmecová same with me… trying all these things in my "play time" I am now connecting all the dots with all the wrist preps, and supine/prone HS positioning and all that. I kind of knew all the before, but now when I started to feel what it means to balance, it all clicked somehow and I am going back and revisiting older exercising, with a renewed purpose now… because I get it much better how important it is…  Yay…  and same like you, I need to learn (and not to fear) how to bail out from a HS and then every practice will be more meaningful I think…