This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

sPL PE1 Form Check

Started by Matthew Wade, March 1, 2018 · 8 Replies · 94 Views

Matthew Wade

My first form check: I have been stuck on this exact stage, rather unbelievably, for somewhere between 9 and 12 months. Just about kills me every time (approx once per week as I'm trying to mix F1 course and stretching). 

What seems to happen, this video suggests, is that my shoulders lean too far forwards. Hands are facing out to try and help lock my arms straight, but doesn't work 100%.

Appreciate any advice. 

https://youtu.be/ZpVVEvqY0VI

Alessandro Mainente

When you retract is normal to lean a bit forward, remember to engage your butt when you protract at the top.

Mark Birbeck

I'm no coach (obviously!) but it does look like your elbows are bending slightly. Would that explain the 'extra' lean? And I wonder if that, in turn, takes a bit of the stress off the scapulas, which might slow down your progress?

Matthew Wade
1 hour ago, Mark Birbeck said:

I'm no coach (obviously!) but it does look like your elbows are bending slightly. Would that explain the 'extra' lean? And I wonder if that, in turn, takes a bit of the stress off the scapulas, which might slow down your progress?

Hey Mark - they too bend a little, yes. I seem to struggle to avoid this. Subconsciously, I think I avoid locking arms 100% as it feels like it would grind bone-on-bone (also, I'm 78kg so feels like they're bound to). I tried different hand positions, thus the side facing (the bend is worse if my hands face forwards).

Alessandro Mainente

Where does the grind happen? elbows or shoulders?

Matthew Wade
4 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Where does the grind happen? elbows or shoulders?

I wouldn't say it really grinds, it's more I worry that's the case so allow the flex. No symptom of pain. 

Matthew Wade

V2 - strong focus on keeping arms rock solid straight and keeping butt engaged.

On 3/3/2018 at 7:10 PM, Matthew Wade said:

I wouldn't say it really grinds, it's more I worry that's the case so allow the flex. No symptom of phttps://youtu.be/R9garWsaJBw 

ain. 

 

Alessandro Mainente

NIce. Are your hands under the shoulders?

Matthew Wade
7 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

NIce. Are your hands under the shoulders?

A little wider honestly, they can come in a bit probably.