This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

How to correct form in dynamic movements

Started by Guido Franchetti, February 27, 2018 · 2 Replies · 46 Views

Guido Franchetti

Most of us are unable to focus on more than one/two thing to correct at once (at least, I am that way). Especially so when the movement is dynamic and (relatively) high speed so that there is not much time to figure out what is going on. Unfortunately, most of us (or at least yours truly) usually starts with more than one thing to correct. So

1) How do you go about correcting multiple defects in dynamic movements (let's say something like a cartwheel or a front tuck). Do you spend a given amount of time/reps focusing on one thing, than switch to another? Or work on a single defect on one session, another on the next one and so on? Or do you completely or nearly completely fix one before thinking of another? Or...?

2) Is there any way to improve the awareness of what your body is doing? I find it very hard to tell if my legs are straight or not in a cartwheel. I basically have no clue about what I am really doing in the preparatory exercises for front tuck that we are doing. I remember that when I started HS/PE2 I was convinces to have straight legs (no piking) and then when I filmed myself I had 30-40 degrees of piking...

Of course videoing and having an instructor correct you help. I suppose there isn't any magic pill and focused practice is going to be the main answer, but what do you focus on? That particular body part? Do you do some preparatory drills which reproduce the specific position you are looking for? Do you do some pre-visualisation? 

Thanks :)

Jared Birbeck

I correct one thing at a time. correct the main defect in that movement then move on to the next one. So I can go straight legs on a cartwheel but when I move to a round off I don't go over the top and so I don't snap down. so I am working the lunge into the round off to go up and set the right position and snap down to front support. Front tuck I twist/pull to one side. back to dive rolls, handstand  rolls and blocking.

awareness, video or a coach someone watching helps. mirrors help if you can look. but no substitute for working the basics.

Alessandro Mainente

It depends on the skill.

how many basic skills compose the more difficult one?

for example:roundoff. my gymnast needs before training it:

-carthwheel with 2 hands bot sides

-carthwheel with first hand only

-carthwheel second hand only

-handstand and variations

-one arm wall handstand with one hand each time (both hand)

-lunge to handstand

-hips twisting

-bodyline changes from arc to hollow

IF they cannot show a proper form of all of them they are not allowed to train roundoff early progression due to many other errors that can be presented.

In the roundoff the handstand and alignment should not be a problem. if it is, then is not the time to practice roundoff.