This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Lsit Russian dip

Started by Jin Liu, February 27, 2018 · 12 Replies · 258 Views

Jin Liu

I’m happy with it as a first attempt :)

I seem to have trouble keeping my legs horizontal throughout the dip. Should I focus on compressing more, or learning less forward, or both? 

Really appreciate the help!

 

Alessandro Mainente

The solution merges the necessity to hold the compression and think that if you lean forward you need more compression, BUT if you move down more vertically you need more upper body strength. it takes time.

Jin Liu
58 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

The solution merges the necessity to hold the compression and think that if you lean forward you need more compression, BUT if you move down more vertically you need more upper body strength. it takes time.

Thanks @Alessandro Mainente. As for mastery of this element, is there one that is more emphasized over the other, between the core compression and upper body strength? Or I should really focus on both, and once I can maintain the horizontal legs, I’m ok for mastery? 

Alessandro Mainente

Legs parallel to the ground all the time is mandatory. So, for now, you do not match the mastery requirements.

Jin Liu
2 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Legs parallel to the ground all the time is mandatory. So, for now, you do not match the mastery requirements.

Haha, I know. I’m far from that. I’m wondering if upper body is more of an emphasis than core compression here. Cuz I can keep the leaning forward and really just try to compress my legs. But that’s strength too. If it’s ok, I’ll work on both to keep the legs horizontal. That means a not very very vertical dip...

George Chung

Ah cool now I know which machine to use to replicate parallel bars :)

Jin Liu
3 hours ago, George Chung said:

Ah cool now I know which machine to use to replicate parallel bars :)

Make sure the bar is long enough for your forearm before you drop your weight on it. Also, anything sticking out of a smooth surface will make you bruise.. I suggest just hold at the bottom position at first, and feel if it's right. Can add some small bounces too. The bars in the video barely fit my arms, and I always get bruises (much less now than the first time) when I do it there..

Jin Liu

I'm officially starting on this one :)

Question. I was trying slow negatives the other day. While keeping the legs as horizontal as it can be (or torso as vertical as it can be), I felt my elbows are flaring out, like in a straight bar dip. Is this unavoidable, or is there something I'm doing wrong? @Alessandro Mainente

 

Nick Murray

Your elbows are flaring because you're using pec major & minor more than triceps.

Alessandro Mainente

You can flare the elbows out only when reaching the top position. my impression is still that your shoulders are too forward, they should be in line with the elbows in the bottom position.

Jin Liu
On 6/9/2018 at 2:16 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

You can flare the elbows out only when reaching the top position. my impression is still that your shoulders are too forward, they should be in line with the elbows in the bottom position.

Still working on the form. Is this better? I know I dropped almost 2/3 of the way down, but am I in the right direction for the proper form? Also, it seems incredibly hard to control it all the way down. How far am I from doing it the way in the course video? 1 year? 2 years? :( 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Yes it is ok. when you learn the trajectory you are not forced to do the eccentric slowly as is your video.

Coach Sommer
8 hours ago, Jin Liu said:

Still working on the form. Is this better? I know I dropped almost 2/3 of the way down, but am I in the right direction for the proper form? Also, it seems incredibly hard to control it all the way down. How far am I from doing it the way in the course video? 1 year? 2 years? :( 

 

Hi Jin Liu,

For now, lower down further into a regular dip before you push back onto the upper arms.  This will help to minimize the momentum.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer