This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Streamlining H1 for faster progress

Started by Joshua Stevens, February 27, 2018 · 3 Replies · 207 Views

Joshua Stevens

I am physically fit but never mastered the handstand.  I purchased H1 in the hope of learning the art quickly, however I have found progress extremely slow given the large number of build-up exercises, and because I am trying to fit H1 within my existing routine, it's all happening a little slow.

Has anyone had much luck streamlining the routine e.g. Skipping through a number of the initial elements and getting straight into the more difficult stuff? For example - I can happily hold a headstand for 1 minute, but I don't have the patience for all the wrist exercised on the wall! I'm not sure how this will with the dashboard though...  

Feel free to shoot me down!

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Joshua, the handstand is a mobility dependent work. no mobility, no efficient handstand.

So if you can complete the mastery of the early shoulder mobility elements you can move on.

If not your HS will never match GB and my standard and for sure it will not be a good basic movement for more advanced stuff.

Antonio Alías Montoya

I read once from Coach Sommer "The handstand is the result of physical preparation", so no fast way towards it. I recommend you to post check forms of every exercise and its mobility. Ask yourself if you really want a handstand or to play around something that is similar to a handstand and drives you nowhere.

Jennifer Marie

I was in your boat, Joshua, when I purchased HS1. I tried to skip around to more advanced PEs, and I can do some of them, like the Chinese handstand, even though I've not mastered the headstand. However, it wasn't as helpful as I'd hoped and I ended up backing up to the beginning.

The wrist exercises on the wall may seem silly at first, but they do help. I've noticed stronger wrists in barbell movements, and have ditched my wrist wraps completely when lifting. If they help with weighted exercises, they're definitely helping while handstanding too.

Feel free to continue to play with the handstand while working on your progression in the proper format. Each one - the PE and the mobility does transfer, and playing with the handstand will show those results in little increments. My wall handstand has gotten stronger and more stable with only the wrist exercises and two PEs, but I'm still working on the low progression for the balance and strength because I've seen a great difference.

Good luck with your mastery Joshua. As one of the coaches has in his byline - the slow way is the fast way!