This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN/PE2: straddle width and torso-leg angle?

Started by Michaël Van den Berg, February 26, 2018 · 8 Replies · 148 Views

Michaël Van den Berg

Hello all,

What is the minimum straddle width and minimum angle between legs and torso to be achieved for mastery on this element? Would 90 degree width and 45 degree torso-leg angle suffice? I'm still on PE1 but I've tried this for fun on a couple of occasions and it would be nice to get an idea of what I need to be aiming for when I get to PE2 :) thanks!

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Michael, the important reference is the angle formed by the upper body and by the legs with the floor rather than the other angles.

the second example is much better because shows a good activation of hips flexor on the upper body and in the lower libs.

angles.png

Michaël Van den Berg

Haha you are absolutely right of course - it never occurred to me to think about that first position because it’s obviously not how the exercise is done (I was assuming symmetry as seen from the side). But my question still stands - what straddle width do we aim for and what level of compression?

Alessandro Mainente

For the width you should aim for something in between 120 and 150 degrees. for the compression, you should be able to reach the floor with the hands with a minimum of 45-60° in between the floor and upper body/limbs.

remember that:

-wider straddle means easier compression because there is less hamstring stretch BUT more work on medial glutes

-less straddle means less cramps on medial glutes but more work on hips flexor.

Marek Dibusz

Yo, can I walz in? 

do you keep the back straight during the whole exercise? Or does one hunch at the top from engaging the abdominals even more ? 

Thanks for your time,

Marek

Michaël Van den Berg

Thank you @Alessandro Mainente

Jennifer Marie

Thanks @Alessandro Mainente! I love your technical explanations. And, I can apply this... my straddle is a bit messy and inconsistent in this movement, so if I focus on squeezing the glutes, perhaps I'll hit a stronger, more consistent straddle at the top!

Alessandro Mainente
14 hours ago, Marek Dibusz said:

Yo, can I walz in? 

do you keep the back straight during the whole exercise? Or does one hunch at the top from engaging the abdominals even more ? 

Thanks for your time,

Marek

The upper back tends to round autonomously.

Marek Dibusz
9 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

The upper back tends to round autonomously.

thanks for the answer.