This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Foundation 1 Legs

Started by Arsen Giller, February 26, 2018 · 6 Replies · 293 Views

Arsen Giller

Hi all,

im currently doing foundation 1, stretch series, and H1. I’ve noticed that the leg day in F1 is the shortest workout out of all the other Foundation 1 days. Seems like core and upper body both have 3 exercises and 3 mobility but legs only one. Just wondering if I should supplement some other leg exercises as prior to starting this program leg day used to be the most intense part of my weekly work outs. 

 

 Lookkng forward to your responses. 

 

Arsen

Mikey Cunanan

Hey Arsen,

That’s a great question! We recommend doing Legs and Frontsplit together as they complement eachother very well.

Of course you can also do Middle Split after. Either way will work.

Arsen Giller

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I do the recommended routine where front spit is done on the same day as legs. I’m just used to doing 3-4 exercises on leg day at least and now just doing 1. It’s an adjustment in mindset but I guess I’m concerned about loosing whatever strength I had gained in my legs prior to starting the program. 

Jennifer Marie

Hi Arsen, Coach Sommer has said that if you can't do a Single Leg Squat you have no business adding weight to a regular squat yet.

However, that being said, most, if not all of us, have other passions, so running, biking, hiking, etc to keep the legs strong is certainly encouraged. And then there's those of us who do the extras anyway. I'm a weightlifter so I have to squat with weight (and a couple of other leg exercises) to keep my snatches and cleans sharp. It slows down my GB progress, but that's the trade off I'm willing to make since the GB was originally purchased to keep shoulders and core strong and healthy for lifting anyway.

The biggest rule is listen to you body and make sure you have ample recovery time for whatever you choose to do.

Arsen Giller

Thanks Jennifer.

Its definitely a bit of a adjustment in thinking. With legs i always like volume. So even with out weight, i alway would do split squats, jump squats, single leg dead lifts etc, and now when leg day comes around its only one exercise. So i think i will have to supplement.

Petra Kmecová

I felt the same way as you do. I started GST with background of bodyweight conditioning with lots of lower body high rep workouts.

I’ve progressed through earlier progressions with no problem and now while I work on last progression of foundation 2, I keep doing all earlier progression with iMs - some of them just to warm up, some of them in sets for 20 reps (cossacks for example) or when I get to the gym I add some weight to them. When I feel like “cardio”, I do mastery on deck squats - that always raises my heart rate. All in all, mixing things up only with mastered progressions gives me quite a leg pump + mobility + knees prehab on top of it ... :-).

Arsen Giller

thanks Petra. I think that is going to be my plan here as i progress.