This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Cues for how to apply pressure through hands

Started by Iain McLean, February 22, 2018 · 3 Replies · 94 Views

Iain McLean

I've let a nagging wrist issue derail my training over the past year and am gradually building back to putting load through my hands with wrists in an extended position (working in a table position at the moment).  

I would like to gain some pointers with regards to how to apply pressure through your hands.  I see that there are different techniques hand balancers use, such as the cambered method, but I feel this might be overkill when performing say a pushup.  

Anyway, looking for some good tips or resources to shed some light.

Thanks in advance.

Alessandro Mainente

Sometimes people need to arrange the weight distribution in function of their limitation. 

One my handbalancer friend put the weight in the center, the cirque coach who follows my one arm handstand development moved the weight to the side of the palm due to a cyst.

When there are a bones limitations the neutral grip like pbars grip is the best solution.

When no limitations at the bones occurs I suggest to restore the range of motion.

Iain McLean
1 hour ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Sometimes people need to arrange the weight distribution in function of their limitation. 

One my handbalancer friend put the weight in the center, the cirque coach who follows my one arm handstand development moved the weight to the side of the palm due to a cyst.

When there are a bones limitations the neutral grip like pbars grip is the best solution.

When no limitations at the bones occurs I suggest to restore the range of motion.

Great advice Alessandro.  I don't have any bone limitations and will continue to attempt to get the range of motion back.  

Any cues for how you should ideally spread the load through the hands?  Where should I feel the main points of contact?  

I always would position my hand with a very large angle between thumb and 1st finger, yet this seemed to aggravate things.  Been playing around with buddying the thumb up with the index finger.

Alessandro Mainente

Personally, when I do handstand the weight distribution is defined by the external rotation of the upper arm.

I generally have the forefinger in the same direction on the forearm and the weight on the lower palm and external edge of the hands, if you look to my recent handstand you can see that my medial / inner palm is off the floor.