This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Stuck on Rows, with Progress

Started by Jennifer Marie, February 21, 2018 · 3 Replies · 203 Views

Jennifer Marie

Sometimes the progress isn't obvious. Sometimes it shows itself in unusual places.

I've been "stuck" on rows somewhere in between ground and incline for some time. I've tried adding more sets, restarting the progression, and other stuff you don't need to hear about. 

The thing is, I'm not really stuck. Sure, I can't seem to get past 4 ground rows, or 9 rows half way between ground and incline, but I am getting stronger.

I went to an indoor rock climbing facility last week -- something I haven't done in a year -- and while I was a little rusty on technique, I scrambled up those walls quicker than last time, and I had little to no DOMS as a result. (Last time I discovered new muscles in my back, I was so sore the next day!)

So there is hope, my fellow athletes. Even though my reps haven't increased on the rows lately, my back is definitely stronger. I'll take it. I'd rather have more fun climbing than count to fifteen reps. I'd like to do both, but if I had to choose, I wouldn't change this one.

 

Paul Bassett

I found the same thing with press ups, I got stuck at 4 sets of 15.  I've cycled back and worked on technique at lower reps and reduced the weekly volume (now only one upper body workout a week).  However, I've notice that an anterior delt issue when pressing kb's has disappeared, and a previous weight is now not an issue to press - I can now double press the weight (kb in each arm).  I've also notice massive stability and strength gains in my animal movement - primarily spiderman crawl.

 

Pauline Taube

Awesome to hear about you gains! 

Keep up the great work :D 

Joshua Hibbert

I have been stuck on things for probably 6 months or a t least feels like that at times.  Even though progress feels slow I can tell there are small increases each week, especially with form get more precise and the movements been smoother.  I did a ninja warrior style course a couple of weeks ago and was surprised at what I was able to do.