This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS PE8 Wall Run

Started by Samin Ishtiaq, February 21, 2018 · 19 Replies · 265 Views

Samin Ishtiaq

I've been on this for *months*. Still scared every time I lift my hand, and I am now so aware of all my imbalances --- it's brilliant! 

Any feedback and comments welcome.

Luke Searra

Well done on your progress Samin.

Samin Ishtiaq

Thanks, @Luke Searra!

What weaknesses can you see? How do I address them? 
Shall I up the volume slowly? 

Tanya Hill

Hi @Samin Ishtiaq you have great hand postion and shoulder position. Hands close to one another and a solid shrug. As you shift from side to side try to focus some improvement to the legs and keep your toes pointed to the ceiling, heels together, legs squeezing together. 

As you pick up one arm you shift your weight into the other arm and keep a solid shrug, you are looking good here. Just keep a little voice in your head, shrug shrug!!! 

Send another video with tight legs. :)

Samin Ishtiaq

Thank you, Tanya! 

I was thinking about my legs: what happens is that, to keep my balance, they move apart. I might start with them straight, but then after a few taps, they are wider than they started. 
The balance compensation come from my hips, right? (I feel if I can get my hips moving a bit more, then I would be able to keep my legs straight and tight.)

 

Tanya Hill

Hi Samin, 

Coming back and looking at your video. I noticed that the pressure in you hands is not in the right spot. Your first knuckle comes off the ground. Which you need to be keeping the weight on the first knuckle of your hand, similar to the wrist exercise. Once the pressure in your hands in nailed down this will translate to the other parts of the body. Please send another video in. 

Keilani Gutierrez

Ashmin

if you work on the place you put weight through your hands,  i am certain you will find more balance on the weight shift. once you got that figured out, you will develop more strength and feel more confident bringing your hands off the floor. 

Samin Ishtiaq
2 hours ago, Tanya Hill said:

Hi Samin, 

Coming back and looking at your video. I noticed that the pressure in you hands is not in the right spot. Your first knuckle comes off the ground. Which you need to be keeping the weight on the first knuckle of your hand, similar to the wrist exercise. Once the pressure in your hands in nailed down this will translate to the other parts of the body. Please send another video in. 

 

Interesting spot. By "first knuckle comes off the ground", you mean my hand that is on the ground has only the base of it's palm and it's fingertips on the ground? 

Keilani Gutierrez

where you place the weight on your hand is where the rest of your body line will sit. so if you look at your video, it’s going through your heel and your thumbs lift off the ground. 

if it goes through the first knuckle (like the wrist exercise) you feel it more in the first knuckle of the index and middle finger. kinda how we do with our feet. give it a try on a plank and see how solid you can maintain your balance versus the heel. :)

Alessandro Mainente

HI Samin, to me appears that your left arm is always bending, I suspect that also in the normal wall handstand position it should be probably bent. can you post please a form of your wall handstand?

Samin Ishtiaq

@Keilani Gutierrez: You're right: my hands are cupped. And also one is placed at a different angle than the other.
So, they should be completely flat? (I like the analogy of standing on my feet's First Knuckle.)

@Alessandro Mainente: A wall HS video: 

 

Alessandro Mainente

HI Samin generally speaking is not bad. To my eyes appear that your left thumb touches differently the floor from the left, this is due to the incomplete elevation of the right shoulder that is probably tighter.

Suzanna McGee

Also try this, when you watch your video, click on 10 second mark, and then immediately about 36 seconds, 10, 36… see how your line is collapsing? 

Samin Ishtiaq

Thank you all for your comments, they have been very helpful. 

What's a summary? 
1. Be tighter (arms, legs; shrug with shoulder)
2. Keep my hand (FK in particular) flat on the ground 

I'll work on that and post another video soon.

Samin Ishtiaq

Time to post another video of my HS Wall Runs: 

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Very good!

now, you need to be perfect, when you tilt on your left side, you bend the hips, when you tilt on the right, you twist the hips. bending is the only one solution permitted.

Samin Ishtiaq
16 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Very good!

now, you need to be perfect, when you tilt on your left side, you bend the hips, when you tilt on the right, you twist the hips. bending is the only one solution permitted.

 

Thank you for the "Very good!"!

I thought you would catch my hip twisting ;-).
Can you give me any advice on how to remedy it? Do you think it's my hips or my shoulders? What do I need to do to fix it?

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

It is more technical, there is not a real solution. for sure if you do not squeeze the glutes the risk of twisting increases.

Samin Ishtiaq

Thank you, @Alessandro Mainente. I'll try and keep tighter. 

Do you think I should go up some reps? I feel doing more work will help build my strength. (But I'll keep an eye on my form.) 

Alessandro Mainente

UNtil the technique is under construction you should limit the number of reps in function of technical refinements.