Before Christmas I had a little tendinitis. During the holidays, just as I was getting rid of this I got myself my first real injury (from training, that is). I blew my right shoulder. At first I rested it a little and stopped doing presses. I suspect the HeSPU. Before this I have had some minor injuries, without any long term issues, so I wasn't overly concerned. There was however no improvement, so decided to cut back even more. This didn't help either. So I went to the doctor, who sent me to see a physiotherapist.
After consulting the physiotherapist this is where the case stands:
I have an inflammation in the biceps tendon, right shoulder. The reason I got the injury in the first place is bad posture, or rather imbalance in my muscles. My shoulder blades tend to "wing". Which apparently has to do with a muscle-chain of m. serratus anterior and the rhomboids. Also the lower third of m. trapezius is under-developed in comparison to the rest of the trapezius. Also my front side is stronger than the back, "pulling" the shoulder forward.
I reckon I have always had a bad posture. I have built my strength in this non-optimal posture, which is now causing me a lot of problems. I have been given exercises, which I follow religiously, progress is however non-existent. One problem is that I have great difficulty controlling and retracting the shoulder blades, and I end up engaging the pectoralis which should be relaxed.
Apart from some incline sit-ups I haven't done any upper body work for the past couple of months. Even core work is out of the question, due to the need for shoulder tension. So basically I am reduced to exercising my legs. Also the outlook isn't exactly great, at this point I haven't had a decent work-out for 3½ months and the future looks equally grim.
Immediate action: How to get back control over these overlooked muscles? How to defeat that inflammation?
Long term action: How to get into muscular balance? How will this interfere with choice of exercise,s program, volume etc?
Any help would be appreciated.