This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP/PE2 form check/plateau

Started by Callum Clark, February 16, 2018 · 9 Replies · 190 Views

Callum Clark

Hi, I have been stuck on push-ups for a couple of months now, I have not been able to get past 9 rep sets. Progress has been apparently on rows, but at a very slow rate, however on every single other exercise I’m making great progress. 

I have tried regressing all the way to sets of 3 reps and slowly building back up to sets of 9 reps, however I It had no effect and I was at the same point that I plateaued originally. 

I have gained a significant amount of muscle mass and little to no body fat since starting this program. 3-5kg of additional weight. Could this be a reason for my lack of progress on this exercise? Or could my plateau be due to other factors like there simply being a week link? 

How should I approach this issue? 

I can link another video next week exposing the shoulder joint so you can see more precisely what is going on with my form if required. 

Apologies for the long winded question

Happy to answer any question 

Thanks 

Cal. 

https://youtu.be/LE2Nh8uMePw

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Clark, looking to your video seems that in the starting position your hands are too backward, the wrists should be under the shoulders. if not the intensity jump from the first push up variation is too high.

Callum Clark

So hands further forward at the top of each rep and should I just continue with the same sets and reps that I have been using for a while, dispite my lack of progress? 

Also I will post another form check video for this exercise just to make sure it’s perfect, shall I post it to this conversation or start a new one? 

Thanks Alessandro

Pauline Taube

Hi Callum,

Once you change the placement of your hands as Alessandro suggested, the push-ups will seem easier so I suggest to keep working on your current level. 

Have you change your schedule the last few months or does it look the same as when you started? 

Callum Clark

When I originally plateaued (push-up 4x9) I changed my schedule  by regressing a few steps, once I had slowly built back up to the point of where I plateaued (4x9) I still wasn’t able to complete it with ease. 

Done some research on this forum and people in a similar situation we’re recomended to train their weak exercises twice a week if they have the ability’s to recover from it. However this recommendation was from a post several years ago. Is this still a current recommendation? If so I will include it. 

 

Pauline Taube

Have you been training upper body once a week the last couple of months? It’s still recommend to train the element at least twice a week after plateaued for some time. 

Feel free to submit a form check as well. Please keep us posted with your progress :) 

Callum Clark

Yeah I have been doing everything once a week. 

Will keep updating and form check coming soon 

thanks for your help 

Étienne Lajeunesse
20 hours ago, Callum Clark said:

 

Done some research on this forum and people in a similar situation we’re recomended to train their weak exercises twice a week if they have the ability’s to recover from it. However this recommendation was from a post several years ago. Is this still a current recommendation? If so I will include it. 

 

Hey Callum,

Definitively, try it twice a week!  Also try to add some volume after your sets and play with the tempo.  Doing so will put additional stress on your body and it will have no choice but to adapt.

Callum Clark

I believe I have addressed the slight form issue that was noted (hands too far backward at the top of each rep)  Can I get someones opinion? Can it be improved further?https://youtu.be/zhP6ompjPp8

Mikey Cunanan

Callum,

Nice adjustment. That should help you break through your plateau.

Nice work!