This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Post workout SAUNA

Started by Athanasios Rovos, February 15, 2018 · 23 Replies · 335 Views

Athanasios Rovos

I would like to ask if using the sauna for a 15min session after my strength and stretching workouts is a good idea.Will this help me to recover faster ?Also i always finish with a frozen 5min shower after the sauna.What are your thoughts about all that ?
I remember @Everett Carroll in an older post saying that doing a frozen shower after a strength workout may be a bad idea.Is this true or am i remembering wrong here ?

Alessandro Mainente

There is some controversy about the ice of, for example, ice bath or contrast bath. recently its use and its efficacy were discussed and not completely confirmed. For the recovery, strategy like 20' of cardio or foam rolling or a good stretched is much more interesting and proved.

Mark Schoenhard

Recovery and hypertrophy have improved since I started using sauna after workouts.  

Everett Carroll

Same, @Mark Schoenhard

Christopher Hancox

Is there any advantage of a sauna over steam?

Everett Carroll

The dry heat saunas are preferred because they are MUCH hotter, which provides a better heat shock response. 

Jin Liu

What about hot tub? :P

If your gym has hot tub, sauna and steam. When do you go where, and why?

Everett Carroll

@Jin Liu Here's my take on those heated amenities:

Hot tubs are for relaxation.

Steam rooms are where sick people go (enter at your own risk). 

Saunas are for getting stronger and smarter (see above resources for timing details).

 

Jin Liu
11 minutes ago, Everett Carroll said:

@Jin Liu Here's my take on those heated amenities:

Hot tubs are for relaxation.

Steam rooms are where sick people go (enter at your own risk). 

Saunas are for getting stronger and smarter (see above resources for timing details).

 

Hahaha! I'll go steam next time when I'm sick :D 

Thanks @Everett Carroll for the resources :) 

Everett Carroll
2 minutes ago, Jin Liu said:

Hahaha! I'll go steam next time when I'm sick :D 

I'm not saying it works! LOL

Mark Schoenhard

I do a 20 minute Finnish sauna at 165-180 F within 30 minutes following workout. I usually jump in the river immediately after sauna, but it has been frozen over for the past three months so I have been taking cold showers.

Jin Liu
21 minutes ago, Everett Carroll said:

I'm not saying it works! LOL

But that's how I minimize risk :D

21 minutes ago, Mark Schoenhard said:

I do a 20 minute Finnish sauna at 165-180 F within 30 minutes following workout. I usually jump in the river immediately after sauna, but it has been frozen over for the past three months so I have been taking cold showers.

That's really hard core! I took some cold showers here and there. It felt great after. But the initial few minutes are brutal. I don't have the willpower to do it consistently... >_<

Étienne Lajeunesse

Cold showers are good in the morning too! Gets prepared for the day.

But like you and me @Jin Liu, only in summer!

Christopher Hancox

Cold showers in the morning are definately good. Try the Wim Hof app if you want to build up some tolerance to cold exposure.

Jin Liu
23 minutes ago, Christopher Hancox said:

Cold showers in the morning are definately good. Try the Wim Hof app if you want to build up some tolerance to cold exposure.

Will give it a try!! He’s amaaaazing!!!

George Chung

I've been doing (dry sauna then cold shower) x2 after a workout. While in the dry sauna, I stretch out.

Étienne Lajeunesse

The sauna in my gym is broken :( any suggestion to replace it while they're fixing it? :)

4 hours ago, Christopher Hancox said:

Cold showers in the morning are definately good. Try the Wim Hof app if you want to build up some tolerance to cold exposure.

Thanks Chris! Will give it a try!

Everett Carroll

It might be wise to avoid cold exposure right after workouts, especially within the first hour...some research shows reduced strength and hypertrophy gains from that. See pages 13-15 of the cold shock report I linked to for details. 

Keilani Gutierrez

heat and cold. what a thing. my body does feel pretty different since I moved to Denver from Puerto Rico. more than a few variables have changed, so it has been quite the puzzle to solve. the other day people were complaining about the heat in Awakens Stall Bar room and I was feeling so alive and happy on the inside. :D 

 

Suzanna McGee
On 2/16/2018 at 1:07 PM, Jin Liu said:

That's really hard core! I took some cold showers here and there. It felt great after. But the initial few minutes are brutal. I don't have the willpower to do it consistently... >_<

Today is day 756 that I took ice cold shower first thing in the morning… No warm, just ice cold. It' pretty intense, because right now it's 58 degrees in my apartment, and it is not very appealing to jump into the cold shower. But I don't want to break by streak, ha ha…  My immune system is so strong now, that it's hard to believe  :-) 

Stefan Steigerwald

so a cold shower after a strength training workout is bad, but what about a cold shower after a stretching session?

Alessandro Mainente

IT reduces the blood flow on the worked joints, so personally, i would not suggest it.

Everett Carroll
3 hours ago, Stefan Steigerwald said:

but what about a cold shower after a stretching session?

After a GB stretch session, I'd agree with Alex, due to the amount of active work. If you're just limbering up on a recovery day, however, I'd say go for it. I often use a light limber and an ice bath to recover.