Head angle during pulling movements?

Started by Rambro, April 3, 2010 · 7 Replies · 3,335 Views

Rambro

Coach/All,

I hear varying arguments about whether the head should be in a neutral position or looking toward where you are pulling during pullups, muscle ups, and other similar movements. It may not be a big deal at all, but I am asking because I don't know. The BTGB book and this website are very informative on most of my questions, I have just not seen anything mentioning this small detail. I may have overlooked it, so if anyone can answer my question or point me in the right direction it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Rambro

Coach Sommer

For most elements, I prefer a neutral head position.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Razz

My coach has taught me to look forward in stuff such as planche, back lever and maltese. Curious about front lever actually, never discussed that.

Nick Van Bockxmeer

In front lever, a lot of people tend to curl the neck forwards. This tends to shift the whole chest forwards though. Try doing rows with your head in neutral vs head forwards. Pretty big difference.

irongymnast

nickvb, is it easier with head at neutral or forward position?

braindx

Neutral....

Arching/extending the neck/back in particular closes up intervertebral facets pinching nerves that run through them which decrease nervous output = less signals to your muscles = weaker

Nick Van Bockxmeer

strange. I personally find FL way easier if I curl my neck forwards. For me I have to deliberately tell myself to keep my head back when I do holds and rows. Same for inverted curl.

braindx
nickvb said:
strange. I personally find FL way easier if I curl my neck forwards. For me I have to deliberately tell myself to keep my head back when I do holds and rows. Same for inverted curl.

ONce you get used to something you will inevitably become stronger at it.

It's like learning a handstand incorrectly with an arch.