This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Middle Split on Wall - ankle weights

Started by Scott Bryan, February 14, 2018 · 4 Replies · 138 Views

Scott Bryan

Hi,

This is probably a "how long is a piece of string" sort of question.

I would like to purchase ankle weights to help improve my stretch on the "Middle Split on wall" exercise in the Middle Split Stretch Series.

How heavy should the ankle weights be?

Thanks! ;)

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Scott, if the course does not show the ankles weight there is no necessity to buy them. The risk is to overstress the groin muscles and having them sore for the next exercise.

Jennifer Marie

Hi Scott, to add to Alessandro's comment, a different thread talked about ankle weights, and with them, it becomes a different stretch. Without them, you actively pull the legs down with the leg/hip muscles (if I remember correctly) and with gravity, but with weights you don't need to be active in the stretch, so it works the muscles differently.

The standing isometric stretch can be done more often though, if you'd like to work on your middle split, if you recover well enough at the current timing. I believe Coach suggests this during the video.

Mark Birbeck

I think Coach does mention ankle weights in the video...something along the lines of 'if you find you're making no headway then you can throw on some ankle weights', or something like that.

My suspicion would be that this advice is for someone who has a pretty wide stretch and is now looking to push to the last stages, rather than someone at the beginning of the course (for the reasons that @Alessandro Mainente and @Jennifer Marie mention).

...but I'm guessing. ;)

Alessandro Mainente

IF you can finish the stretch series with no soreness and the day after you do not have any type of soreness you can consider to add the ankles.