This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

When to change exercises

Started by Richard Robichaud, February 12, 2018 · 4 Replies · 161 Views

Richard Robichaud

Hi coaches,

When do you know when to switch exercises?  For example, I am still on the push up series under the "Hollow Back Press" in Foundation 1. Now I've actually managed to complete the 5 rounds of 15 reps however, I was told not to move on until that movement felt relatively "easy".  I've been doing this same progression now for about 3 months and it still feels almost as hard as it did when I finally managed to complete it the first time.

Is it time to move to the next exercise or continue on this same progression for as long as it takes to feel "easy"?  I've tried to add in an extra push up session in the same week to add in more volume but I end up more tired needing more recovery time.

Just wondering what the thoughts are out there and if anyone has some advice or has experienced the same sticking points.

Thanks,

Rich

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hi Richard,

The best way to know if you're ready to move on to another progression is to send a mastery form check to coaches.  They will tell you if you're ready or not :)

Alessandro Mainente
1 hour ago, Richard Robichaud said:

Hi coaches,

When do you know when to switch exercises?  For example, I am still on the push up series under the "Hollow Back Press" in Foundation 1. Now I've actually managed to complete the 5 rounds of 15 reps however, I was told not to move on until that movement felt relatively "easy".  I've been doing this same progression now for about 3 months and it still feels almost as hard as it did when I finally managed to complete it the first time.

Is it time to move to the next exercise or continue on this same progression for as long as it takes to feel "easy"?  I've tried to add in an extra push up session in the same week to add in more volume but I end up more tired needing more recovery time.

Just wondering what the thoughts are out there and if anyone has some advice or has experienced the same sticking points.

Thanks,

Rich

When you can complete the mastery requirement for 2 sessions in a row without breaking in the form you can move on.

Richard Robichaud

That is a resource I haven't been taking full advantage of.  Thanks for the advice :) I'll give it a shot

 

Ezra Richardson
17 hours ago, Richard Robichaud said:

That is a resource I haven't been taking full advantage of.  Thanks for the advice :) I'll give it a shot

 

I have not either! @Richard Robichaud I am a few steps ahead of you in my progression but have also reached some frustrating plateaus, I'll be sending in some form checks as well!