This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Tight ham/calf/Achilles from GST!

Started by Ben Sommer, February 11, 2018 · 8 Replies · 209 Views

Ben Sommer

This sucks...having come to this program to rebound from a torn right hammy sprinting, I now have a super tight right posterior chain, which must’ve come on from the middle/front split routine last week. Things were progressing just fine for 2 months till now.

Bailed on two sprint workouts in a row out of fear...advice?

Coach Sommer

Simply a case of too much, too soon, with too much intensity.

1) Torn hamstrings do not heal in two months time.

2) If you are still recovering from a torn hamstring, why are you sprinting?

3) Never approach mobility work with the same intensity as strength work.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Ben Sommer

I would've given all background if I knew coach would be replying! Short answer: trust that I am as methodical and patient as they come...

1) Yes you're right, but it was a grade 1 tear (no bruising) in September, which was rehabbed extensively and patiently since then, and I've not really tested it 100%. Took all the time in the world.

2) Again - the recovery seemed complete by Christmas - in fact I've not really been "sprinting" - just 5-6 100m strides runs at about half-mile race pace once/twice a week. And felt absolutely fine (underdoing it) until this week

3) Your third point may be the money one - stretch series are absolutely brutal on me...could I have stretched my way into a strain now?

Jin Liu
14 hours ago, Ben Sommer said:

3) Your third point may be the money one - stretch series are absolutely brutal on me...could I have stretched my way into a strain now?

Possibly, especially when coming back from a tear. I'm no coach or PT, but here's just my two cents. How relaxed are your muscles, esp. your hammy, during your stretch? Light stretch may help relax the muscle, but I believe the kind of deep & intense stretch requires the muscles already relaxed to be effective. Otherwise, the extra tension will probably cause the muscles to tighten up even more. I'm not sure if it's your case. But for me, I noticed when I more mindfully try to relax the muscles being stretched, I get better results. 

For someone who trains regularly, some (overused) muscles may already be tight to start with. Injuries also make tight muscles. If I were you, I'd focus (more) on relaxing the muscles during the stretch, instead of increasing the ROM, for now.

Ben Sommer

Thanks Jin - good advice

Christopher Hancox

Use some bent leg stretches. Straight leg stretches are hard to relax in as the body see's it as a vulnerable position and automatically tenses the targeted muscle. Therefore it may feel like a stretch, but your actually hanging on an already tight and tensed muscle.

Personally I use all bend leg stretches now and have had more progress and less injury tweeks since.

Good luck!

Daniel Yarnes

Definitely agree with above on avoiding intense stretches this soon after a hamstring strain. I had a grade 2-3 hamstring tear with an avulsion while sprinting years ago. I did not worry about stretching outside of normal range of motion for months. Much more important to focus on eccentric strength and glute activation. I also work in PT and can tell you 9/10 people will fire their hamstrings before the glutes when performing hip extension, this is not the appropriate firing pattern and causes the hamstrings to work harder during sprints.

My recommendation would be to really focus on your glute activation and strength right now. I was able to resume full sprinting after 12 weeks. Starting with 70% effort at about 8 weeks and gradually increasing as tolerated.

Ben Sommer

Thanks all very much!

And amen to the glutes...thing is that I had hammered glutes and done all these protocols you did as well, and was getting my stride back just fine - and feeling very very good - until this week, when I thing the stretch session killed me.

Jennifer Marie

 I'd also like to add that a tight muscle is often a weak muscle. Could be the hamstring is still a little weak from the rest/recovery. I've found from previous injuries that PT gets me healthy, but not necessarily all the way to athlete healthy. Be careful with the intensity of the stretches, yes, but perhaps also test hamstring balance between good and sore side, and test strength in relation to the quads. I was amazed at what some low resistance hamstring curls did to help my mid split stretches feel more "normal" after a stretching strain healed.