This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Need for Increased Programming Customization

Started by Lonelle Madsen, February 5, 2018 · 3 Replies · 132 Views

Lonelle Madsen

I chose Gymnastic Bodies after 5 years of CrossFit which has exacerbated some serious imbalances in my overall bilateral strength and symmetrical proficiencies. Namely my extremities are far stronger and engaged than my core/abdominals, with my left leg, left arm, left obliques, and left latissimus dorsi significantly stronger than their right counterparts. Hence, I constantly feel twisted, so to peak, if you can imagine that? Also, I present symptoms similar to Prolapse and weak pelvic floor engagement. (classic peeing my pants and/or urgency) I'm working with what I know for myself (I'm a CMT specializing in myofascial release) as well as a DC, ART specialist to correct some of these things. Given all this I am emphasizing the CORE programming (starting with my 3rd week now with some noticeable strength increases). However........

My inquiry is two fold: What programming/exercises, if any are available, might be indicated for conditions of Prolapse  that I can include. Secondly, I feel like I need to do some of the unilateral exercises/movements in a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio. For instance, today rehearsing torso rotation in fundamentals block 2, I felt it necessary to skip rotating to my left and only do reps of rotation to the right. I can readily rotate to my left and felt my lat almost go into spasm because of the myofascial strength coupled with adhesion. I'm sensing that when programming has you switch sides on any given exercise/mobility I should err on the side of doing 2-3xs more the number of reps or sets on my weaker side in comparison to my stronger/dominate side. 

Interested in GB's feedback and approach to addressing such acute and pronounced imbalances, such as mine. Thank you!

Alessandro Mainente

HI Lonelle, a natural question comes to my mind:

-have you already checked where the imbalances are located?

Lonelle Madsen
1 hour ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

HI Lonelle, a natural question comes to my mind:

-have you already checked where the imbalances are located?

Hi Alessandro, 

How do you mean? If I'm understanding you correctly then the answer is yes. I have imbalances located in my trunk, especially right oblique and right posterior chain (neck, trunk, and right gluteals). My weakness manifest during certain types of movement through a couple different planes of movement. Do you need me to elaborate?

 

Thank you!

Alessandro Mainente

At this point you need:

-stretch exercises for the tight part. the stretch exercise should be equally performed for the 2 side BUT with one set more for the tight one.

-I suggest performing mono-lateral exercise when doing conditioning and take as a reference the tight side, you should not proceed on higher reps or sets if the 2 sides are not at the same level.

-this basic approach is the best way to reduce imbalances.