This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Juiced by seemingly low volume work! How do you find F1 workouts?

Started by Callum Muntz, February 5, 2018 · 2 Replies · 198 Views

Callum Muntz

Hey all,

I'm writing to see what everyone else's F1 workouts look like? Reason being, is I have been following a regime of rotating between upper and core workouts for 3 days per week; and man am I ready to stop after just the three exercises in each!

My training background includes quite a bit of volume, and I'm not new to doing high volume or intensity over lengthy time periods... but man, for such seemingly low volume it really is juicing me at the moment.

The sessions start with a warm up of 15-20mins of skipping (HR about 140bpm), then I'm into it. I generally don't stuff around between exercises except to set up equipment. A session normally takes me about 50 minutes, including the warm up. They look like the following:

Day 1 (Monday)

Spoiler

 

- HBP PE3 and iM (8lbs) - 5 x 10r

- RC PE 2 and iM - 5x9r

- sPL PE5 and iM - 5x30s

 

Day 2 (Wednesday):

Spoiler

 

- FL PE4 and iM - 4x48r

- Side arch holds and iM - 5x24s

- MN PE6 with no iM (no stall bars - instead waited 30s between sets) - 5x2r

- Sometimes I throw V-ups in, with Jefferson Curls at 30kg, for 5 sets of 20-25.

 

Day 3 (Friday): just repeat Day 1 again

 

Each week it alternates, meaning two of the one type of session every second week.

I'm sticking at the above reps for a while until I get into the comfortable zone of completing them - which I generally do for all my work. 

 

Anyway - how does everyone else find the volume of Foundation 1 workouts? With just 3 (maybe 4) exercises per session I feel like it shouldnt juice me as much as it does.

My additional work throughout the week is below, for information.

Spoiler

 

Tues / Thurs - running. At the moment it is aerobic base building phase, conducting fartlek intervals - 4 x 4:00 hard / 3:00 recovery pace

Saturday - Wrist Work, Handstand 1, Handstand 2

Sunday - Recovery session - about 50mins of light aerobic activity, rolling and stretching

Stretch courses are generally done Tue, Thur and Sunday (one of each of those days).

 

 

Thanks all, hope your training is going well!

 

Callum

Alessandro Mainente

HI Callum, the matter of "i'm doing to less" it is pretty common, the best thing it is thinking "I did enough.period" and not "did I do enough?". 

What I can say from my experience is that following the regime of GB is much more useful that build up my program on my own and sincerely...after 8 years of foundations... I'm still holding this type of schedule.

At the end if you have more energy you can something more of course.

Callum Muntz

Hey Allessandro,

Thanks for the response! I feel like I am doing enough, that is for certain. I guess it is just bizzarre for me, because I have done training before with much higher volume before being 'juiced' - where as it only takes 3-4 Foundation 1 elements to tire me out. I used to run some F7 sessions in the past, but suspect that was only achievable while I was on earlier PEs. 

I only thought I'd post to see if anyone else has similar experiences.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

Callum