This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hip taps FINALLY!!

Started by Chris Umiastowski, February 3, 2018 · 16 Replies · 314 Views

Chris Umiastowski

Hey gang - just some motivation here. I’ve been working with this course for almost a year now. I felt strong when I started but not strong in many of the range of motions required for this program, so I worked hard to fix that. Consistent use of the program almost every single week except I missed maybe 4 weeks during the year. 

 

Hip taps were something I could t even do a single one of. Like, I couldn’t even slightly raise one of my hands when in the elevated bridge. Impossible. 

 

I gradually gained strength in that ROM and gradually learned to carefully raise each hand maybe a couple of inches before I was scared I’d collapse. 

 

Yesterday, for the first time ever, I decided to focus just on ONE rep instead of 10 slight hand movements. 

I actually did it. Full hip tap. One per hand. 

Then I carefully collapsed with a huge grin. I was thrilled. 

 

 

Jin Liu

Congrats!! :D 

Tanya Hill

Send us a video! ;)

Chris Umiastowski
3 hours ago, Tanya Hill said:

Send us a video! ;)

Ok I’ll setup my phone to record a quick video when I do this again - Friday is bridge day. 

Jennifer Marie

Huzzah and Congrats!! 

 

Chris Umiastowski

Ok here is my video. I recorded two and while the first video showed more reps and stability, I realized in review that the form was off. My hands were FAR away from my feet so I was not as vertical (arms) as required. I rested a minute and re-attempted with better form. 

 

Here we go:

https://youtu.be/wkQY2vEu3bE

 

Alessandro Mainente

HI Chris a front view is more recommended a front view.

Jin Liu
On 2/10/2018 at 2:18 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

HI Chris a front view is more recommended a front view.

Hi @Alessandro Mainente, what's revealed in the front view? Distance between hands? And how much you shift from side to side for balancing? 

@Chris Umiastowski I thought your thoracic extension is pretty decent as a start. Keeping the hands closer together definitely helps the shift between hands. I'm struggling to reach a good thoracic extension with one hand. If my two hand thoracic extension is an 8, my one hand is probably a 5 at most...

Alessandro Mainente
9 hours ago, Jin Liu said:

Hi @Alessandro Mainente, what's revealed in the front view? Distance between hands? And how much you shift from side to side for balancing? 

@Chris Umiastowski I thought your thoracic extension is pretty decent as a start. Keeping the hands closer together definitely helps the shift between hands. I'm struggling to reach a good thoracic extension with one hand. If my two hand thoracic extension is an 8, my one hand is probably a 5 at most...

-the distance between arms;

-the difference on an elevation between the 2 shoulders

-bent elbows in one of the 2 arms or both

-hands position and as consequence excessive internal rotation.

Christopher Denzer

@Chris Umiastowski Chris, how do you enter that elevated bridge position, out of curiosity? Just elevate the feet and press into it? I have the same set up at my gym and struggle with the push into position.

Chris Umiastowski
10 hours ago, Christopher Denzer said:

@Chris Umiastowski Chris, how do you enter that elevated bridge position, out of curiosity? Just elevate the feet and press into it? I have the same set up at my gym and struggle with the push into position.

Yeah, I just set the bar on the Smith machine to where it is shown in the video, put my legs on it and roll back onto my hands and press up.  I find the press up pretty easy, but doing 10 elevated bridge push-ups is impossible for me at this stage (maybe could do them with fresh muscles, but certainly NOT after the 60 second elevated bridge hold).

I will shoot a video as @Alessandro Mainente suggests too - front view.  I didn't think of that.  Already the video of my side view helped me enormously because I thought I had vertical arms and was nowhere close.  They were way behind me ...

Chris Umiastowski

Just finished today's workout and hit a new record!  Managed to do 3 hip taps per side.  Here's the front view view that @Alessandro Mainente suggested. You can hear my struggle!

 

Alessandro Mainente

ON your left arm the movement has not the same degree of control than the right, I suggest you to pass some more time on learning how to transfer the weight from 2 hands to one hand FIRST.

ALso, note that the knees should be extended.

Chris Umiastowski

Hi @Alessandro Mainente - thanks for the comments. I agree I don't have as much control with one of the arms yet, but it's a lot better than one month ago.

 

Knees extended - is that the ultimate goal?  Here' a screenshot of the video from the class:

 

Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 10.15.53 AM.png

Alessandro Mainente

Yes, the ultimate goal it knees locked.

Chris Umiastowski

Thanks for your feedback, @Alessandro Mainente. I managed to do the elevated bridge with fully knees locked last week, but not quite for the hip taps yet.  I'm definitely getting stronger at this as I keep doing it (surprise surprise!).

Love this program.

Alessandro Mainente

You're welcome.