This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP/PE 2 Question

Started by Jeremy Aldridge, February 3, 2018 · 16 Replies · 351 Views

Jeremy Aldridge

I decided to regress back to PE 2 because I have been stuck on PE3 for awhile and one thing I noticed is it seems that I get a much better contraction through out the hollow position if I stayed rolled on the tops of my feet, just with out the lean. It seems that because of my tighter ankles (which are finally starting to improve) it causes me to bend more at the hips. Is this flat foot method acceptable for the movement or no? Thanks for the help.

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hi Jeremy,

If your able to do the whole PE2 in plantar flexion, you can try pointed.  But, you have to keep your weight on your arms, which makes it more difficult.  

Try it send form checks to be sure of your form!

Tanya Hill

Form check video for sure! 

Jeremy Aldridge

I will do a form check this week for sure and go from there. I just feel that my weight on plantar flexed feet it forces me to maintain much stronger hollow position. Thanks

Jeremy Aldridge

Here are the two different variations I was speaking of, I feel a much stronger contraction in my core with pointed feet. These sets were done after my 4  sets of 15. I was on PE 3 and chose to step backdown to ensure that my form was solid. Thanks for watching and any pointers would be great.

Jeremy Aldridge

Wondering if I could get some feed back from the coach's on wether the pointed toe version is acceptable for mastery PE 2. 

Alessandro Mainente
On 9/2/2018 at 7:34 AM, Jeremy Aldridge said:

Here are the two different variations I was speaking of, I feel a much stronger contraction in my core with pointed feet. These sets were done after my 4  sets of 15. I was on PE 3 and chose to step backdown to ensure that my form was solid. Thanks for watching and any pointers would be great.

Second video all life long! nice form!

Christopher Denzer

@Jeremy Aldridge dude, you are Wolverine. Do you only do GB training or are you a mutant?

Jeremy Aldridge

@Christopher Denzer I am only doing GB training these days. I have been doing it off and on for 2 years but would get frustrated with my mobility and lack of being able to advance so I would go back to other training. I am back at 100% GST now though and really starting to see good improvements. Thanks for the comments!

@Alessandro Mainente The second video feels most solid for sure. Is this was acceptable for mastery? Then I can move back to HBP 3 with the forward lean then, as long as mobility is sufficient? Thanks

Christopher Denzer

@Jeremy Aldridge I am in exactly the same place as you. I’ve been doing GB for 2 years and been frustrated with my progress because of lack of equipment or time. You’re an inspiration! What’s your training schedule look like? 

Alessandro Mainente
2 hours ago, Jeremy Aldridge said:

@Christopher Denzer I am only doing GB training these days. I have been doing it off and on for 2 years but would get frustrated with my mobility and lack of being able to advance so I would go back to other training. I am back at 100% GST now though and really starting to see good improvements. Thanks for the comments!

@Alessandro Mainente The second video feels most solid for sure. Is this was acceptable for mastery? Then I can move back to HBP 3 with the forward lean then, as long as mobility is sufficient? Thanks

yes, definitely.

Jeremy Aldridge
22 hours ago, Christopher Denzer said:

@Jeremy Aldridge I am in exactly the same place as you. I’ve been doing GB for 2 years and been frustrated with my progress because of lack of equipment or time. You’re an inspiration! What’s your training schedule look like? 

I am working out about 5 days a week currently and I am pretty much following the recommended schedule but I do try and listen to my body. If I am sore I will either do a different workout or skip that day all together. My workouts do have a lot of extra mobility added in so I don't currently follow the follow along videos because I typically do a little extra mobility in between my sets. But I do keep moving the whole time to ensure that I am also working endurance. Typically if I do extra mobility I will throw in a couple extra sets of strength to counterbalance it. If I am going for mastery I will follow as we are suppose to. So here is my typical week:

Mon- Core, FS

Tue- HS 1&2

Wed- Legs, MS

Thur-Upperbody

Fri- TB

I also like to do some extra handstand work if I have any extra time but It usually takes me about an hour each time for the most part.

Christopher Denzer

@Jeremy AldridgeI'm doing exactly the same set up as you, except that I do TB on my HS day and do bouldering a couple of times a week. I'm curious what your sticking points are, since we're about the same time into the series. Mine is thoracic mobility (can't do hip taps or extend into a bridge with straight arms), kicking up into a stable HS (been stuck on chinese handstands forever) and all things planche (stuck on bent arm half straddles for months)

Jeremy Aldridge
20 hours ago, Christopher Denzer said:

@Jeremy AldridgeI'm doing exactly the same set up as you, except that I do TB on my HS day and do bouldering a couple of times a week. I'm curious what your sticking points are, since we're about the same time into the series. Mine is thoracic mobility (can't do hip taps or extend into a bridge with straight arms), kicking up into a stable HS (been stuck on chinese handstands forever) and all things planche (stuck on bent arm half straddles for months)

I feel like I am too wore out after TB and if I were to to HS before hand that I would not be able to put enough emphasis on the TB series. My initial intention was to hit HS twice a week, that is why I started doing it Tuesday but I just have not attempted to do the two together yet later in the week. I also can not to bridge taps yet for some reason and I am assuming that my stabilizer muscles are just too weak compared to everything else. I have noticed that being the case in most aspects of this course. My hips, ankles, and shoulders are all tight; and with that comes a stiff spine as well. 

Man I am stuck on all beginner level exercises but here recently I have really noticed a difference in those stabilizer muscles which is starting to show light at the end of the tunnel. For example, when doing the pHS/PE 1 have started to feel my mid thoracic pull my shoulders open, where as before I was attempting to push them open. Same with all straddle movements with the hips. I can feel those stabilizers pull legs apart and into the right position instead of trying to push them. I still have a long way to go but any progress for me is a step in the right direction. 

During stretching exercises I really focus on my breathing and by not following the videos and just using my own timer it has allowed me to get into a better set up before the time begins soI get the full time allotted for stretching instead of setting up lol! 

Christopher Denzer

@Jeremy Aldridgeright, I feel you about the tightness. I came from a CrossFit/martial arts background and thought I was flexible/mobile but I couldn’t have been more wrong. My hips and ankles were fine but my shoulders and back were carved out of wood. I couldn’t even extend both arms straight out over head without severely arching my lower back. Dislocates sounded like I was popping popcorn in my scapula. SMH.

Jeremy Aldridge

@Christopher Denzer man I also was doing CrossFit and I actually like the thought of all versatility involved but unfortunately my mobility was just to far behind to even attempt to be doing that stuff. (of course I didn't realize it at the time LOL) Before that I was doing Bodybuilding and I never stretched, for some reason I though tight muscles was a sign that I did something. What an idiot lol. I have started standing on a calf board about 5 minutes a day and I also have been doing the wrist stretches everyday through out the day when I think about it and I have noticed a big difference shoulder tightness believe it or not and hamstring and glute tightness. Give the wrist stretches a try but don't force it, just let them release. Instead of the 10 reps of the stretch I would just spend time and let them release. Let me know how that helps, I bet it will help your shoulder more than you think.

Christopher Denzer

Will do, thanks!