Stronger at pressing than pulling

Started by irongymnast, April 2, 2010 · 11 Replies · 4,978 Views

irongymnast

I think I'm weak at pulling and that I have worked more the pushing exercises.

I can't do a single bar MU (I can do 4-5 consecutive ring MUs though).

I can do at least 15 pullups and 15 chinups ( haven't measured after that, because I'm training for strength, not endurance).

I have a hard time climbing a 30ft rope with my feet at L-sit, although I can manage it.

Full p-bar dips are easier for me than pullups. For most people I know, it's the opposite.

Anything I can do to develop pulling skills other than pullups/chinups? I used to do weighted pullups/chinups (up to 50 pounds) but I don't have access to the weights at the moment.

irongymnast

Bump. Troubles with MU.

I am lately training on higher rings and I'm quite easily drained after a couple of routines.

Like if I do:

MU, 30sec hold (rings out), iron cross pulls (30-40 degrees)

1min pause

MU, L-sit, 5 Bulgarian pushups

1min pause

MU, 2x skin the cat, full BL

then I can't do another MU. I can do the other drills but I don't have enough strength to lift myself with MU to the support position.

So how can I increase my pulling strength?

Joshua Naterman

Get a weight belt and a bag full of dirt or something and work weighted pull ups! :P

Transition work is probably the best answer though. If you can do the pull up but not the muscle up then that is your weakness. Working on the top part of false grip pull ups and Russian dips will make the transition easier for you, and you should be able to move past this annoying sticking point.

braindx

Most people are stronger with pressing than with pulling. Triceps are inherently bigger and stronger than biceps in general.

Regardless, work more pulling... Bent arm pulling strength progression is what you want

rubadub
irongymnast said:
Full p-bar dips are easier for me than pullups. For most people I know, it's the opposite.

I would have thought more people could do more dips than pullups.

You could use a backpack with books or bottles of water as weights.

Jason Stein

Irongymnast,

I hate to seem like a huge Poliquin guy (I'm not), but Charles at least has put out some suggested numbers as far as ratio to press-pull strength ...

Maybe this would be helpful to give you a concrete goal and therefore structure to your training. It's tough to have a goal like "Get stronger at pulling."

Close Grip Bench Press

Relative score: 100%

Supinated Chin-Ups

Relative score: 81%

C-Pol suggests your weighted supinated chin-up should be 81% of your 1RM close-grip [36cm] bench.

(Your max bench is 250; therefore your max chin would be 202.5 minus BW.)

In my case, my weighted chin was 130% my 1RM max bench, which indicated a pull bias.

Again these are just suggestions, and they're based around bench press, so take it with a grain of salt.

best,

jason

Joshua Naterman

Interesting stuff Jason!

braindx
jasonmstein said:
Irongymnast,

I hate to seem like a huge Poliquin guy (I'm not), but Charles at least has put out some suggested numbers as far as ratio to press-pull strength ...

Maybe this would be helpful to give you a concrete goal and therefore structure to your training. It's tough to have a goal like "Get stronger at pulling."

Close Grip Bench Press

Relative score: 100%

Supinated Chin-Ups

Relative score: 81%

C-Pol suggests your weighted supinated chin-up should be 81% of your 1RM close-grip [36cm] bench.

(Your max bench is 250; therefore your max chin would be 202.5 minus BW.)

In my case, my weighted chin was 130% my 1RM max bench, which indicated a pull bias.

Again these are just suggestions, and they're based around bench press, so take it with a grain of salt.

best,

jason

Here's the total article for those who are curious about more of this:

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_arti ... al_balance

Tarun Suri

Very good read.

Brain, would there be a large difference between the position Charles laid out for external rotation of the shoulders compared to the one you posted on your bodyweight programming article on your site?

braindx
RandomHavoc said:
Very good read.

Brain, would there be a large difference between the position Charles laid out for external rotation of the shoulders compared to the one you posted on your bodyweight programming article on your site?

Not really... both are more or less similar movements.

Arm more in abduction recruits a bit more teres minor, while arm adducted against the body gives a bit more infraspinatus.

Regardless, you're still hitting both fairly significantly but if you want to switch it up some to make sure you're good with both movements. You'll find there's good carryover between each if you're gonna switch back and forth.

Joshua Naterman

It's also good to do both band work and dumbbell work because with the dumbbell in the position he shows it gets much easier at the top, while it gets harder with bands. This is generally true for most exercises when comparing between dead weight and elastic tension.

Seiji

Climb trees. It's fun.

I climbed trees as a kid. I still enjoy it, but I haven't done it in a long time. I expect that's the reason I had (and still have) a pulling imbalance over pushing. I've been doing martial arts for 6-7 years?, which doesn't make sense why I have a pulling imbalance since most motions require more pushing than pulling.

I envy you and your ability to push hard :P