This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Middle split lack of flexibility

Started by Tyler Smith, January 30, 2018 · 12 Replies · 353 Views

Tyler Smith

I just started the middle split course today. It was 45 minutes of brutal stretch work for my immobile self. Brutal.

i couldn’t do the last movement/exercise where you roll from a seated position over the split onto your elbows or stomach. The lack of flexibility didn’t allow me to push myself up and over, if that makes sense.

I think I need a progression to get me to that point. Is there something I should do instead of that exercise or maybe a modification to the position?

Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Tyler if you use the labels in the main page you can access the fitness label and afer the course library. In this section are proposed many scaled variations. in your case using a bench under your groin can be a solution.

Tyler Smith

Thank you. I took a look at the videos as you suggested. That’s a very helpful resource.

By the way, what kind of warm-up should be done before going into the stretch workouts?

Étienne Lajeunesse
1 hour ago, Tyler Smith said:

 

By the way, what kind of warm-up should be done before going into the stretch workouts?

Hey Tyler,

Some light cardio and myofascial release (foam rolling) can be added as a warm-up!

Tyler Smith

I will do that. Thank you!

Tyler Smith

I upgraded from Foundation One to GB Unlimited and am following the recommended weekly schedule from Coach Sommers. I'm relatively strong, but my mobility and flexibility are a disaster. I'm also concerned about joint and connective tissue health and mobility--I've had an achilles tendon repair, ACL repair, and bicep tendon repair.

I'm used to engaging in fairly rigorous workouts 4 times per week. Should I stop doing my other workouts and only do GB? Or, can I do both?

Will doing my regular workout on top of my GB inhibit the progress that I would realize from the GB program?

Étienne Lajeunesse
20 minutes ago, Tyler Smith said:

I upgraded from Foundation One to GB Unlimited and am following the recommended weekly schedule from Coach Sommers. I'm relatively strong, but my mobility and flexibility are a disaster. I'm also concerned about joint and connective tissue health and mobility--I've had an achilles tendon repair, ACL repair, and bicep tendon repair.

I'm used to engaging in fairly rigorous workouts 4 times per week. Should I stop doing my other workouts and only do GB? Or, can I do both?

Will doing my regular workout on top of my GB inhibit the progress that I would realize from the GB program?

Hey Tyler,

Wow, that's pretty intense, what a list of injuries!

It's a good sign that you need to be more serious about your mobility.  

In your case, I would really focus on GB.  Lifting weights won't help you for your mobility for sure and I'm even wondering if it won't harm in the long run. So yeah, mobility first, strengthen and stretch yourself and then you will see about your other workouts!

Tyler Smith

Thanks, Etienne!

Maybe I'll drop everything else and only do GB for now. And, then start introducing the heavy stuff gradually in about 6 months after my mobility catches up a bit.

Luke Searra

Tyler,

In my extensive and worldwide CrossFit coaching experience so far, which includes both Olympic lifting, Powerlifting, Kettle Belling and Gymnastics strength, the main cause of injuries are always almost related to mobility deficits. I understand you enjoy the 4 times per week high-intensity exercises but if you have this frequency of repeated and non-related injury, you are simply doing something wrong. Any kind of weightlifting will vastly slow your mobility progress.

No question.

This does not mean you should completely stop your HIIT workouts, you can still do metabolic and cardio conditioning while you focus on your mobility for the next half a year (6 months or more), or so, 4 times per week.

Myofascial release I have found, in my personal experience always helps to increase the speed of progress with flexibility increase, but you must, like all things in physical training, be consistent with it.

What I would do if I were you, is use my metabolic conditioning (non-weightlifting style METCON), as a complete warmup for my stretch courses.

Tyler Smith

Thanks, Luke!

Do you have a specific metabolic conditioning series or workouts that you like? I've been using heavy sandbag along with weighted dips, chins, and pushups.

Kevin Cox

Tyler,

I can relate to your situation.   I just upgraded to GB unlimited.   I"ve made the decision to go 100% on GB for the year.  
My mobility ( lack of)  is frightening.  I'm 45 and train in Jiu-jitsu and feel improving my mobility will offer the biggest return.  I've got a pesky rib that continually finds itself out of place every few months.  After going thru the thoracic bridge series I'm convinced my poor mobility relates to my rib issue.

good luck.

Tanya Hill

So glad to see you back on the GST grind Kevin!

Kevin Cox
11 hours ago, Tanya Hill said:

So glad to see you back on the GST grind Kevin!

Hi Tanya,

Me too.  My body is in need of an overhaul. 

Cheers,