This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Straddle Planche Trouble

Started by Jon Thornham, January 30, 2018 · 10 Replies · 370 Views

Jon Thornham

I've been working the Foundation Series, Stretch Series and Handstand One for almost three years.  I've had massive gains in all areas and am very pleased with all of my progress.  However, I am really struggling with the Straddle Planche.  I seem to be stuck and confused with how to progress.  I feel like I have a decent planche lean but struggle with sPL/SE1.  I can do an advanced frog stand but struggle with a tucked planche and an open planche is way out there.  I've tried countless things to try and progress but I must really be missing something key.  

My question is the following.  Are there any exercises I can video to highlight potential issues in my technique or strength.  I'm willing to shoot anything or try anything to get past this hump.  

Jeffrey Bittner

Hey Jon,

This one can be a little tricky, so no need to worry! Can you upload videos of your sPL/SE1>iM, Elevated Planche Lean, and Pseudo Planche Push Ups for us?

Jon Thornham
11 hours ago, Jeffrey Bittner said:

Hey Jon,

This one can be a little tricky, so no need to worry! Can you upload videos of your sPL/SE1>iM, Elevated Planche Lean, and Pseudo Planche Push Ups for us?

Glady.  Please see the three videos below.  

Pseudo Planche Push-Up

Elevated Planche Lean

sPL/SE1>iM

 

Tanya Hill

Hi Jon, 

Nice work! On your Psuedo Push Ups...... hips need to come low to the floor during the full range of the push up. Your lean could use a inch or two more but it is nice. 

Jon Thornham
On 1/30/2018 at 10:15 AM, Jeffrey Bittner said:

Hey Jon,

This one can be a little tricky, so no need to worry! Can you upload videos of your sPL/SE1>iM, Elevated Planche Lean, and Pseudo Planche Push Ups for us?

Any thoughts on the videos?

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Jon,

It looks like you're off to a good start, but both PPP and planche lean need some work.

On your PPP, I recommend decreasing your lean to the point where you are able to maintain a posterior pelvic tilt (PPT) and hit stronger protraction at the top of your reps. To help hit PPT, engage your glutes as you drop your hips towards the floor as Tanya said. Also, aim to touch your hips to the ground at the bottom of each rep. At the top of your reps, try to get the center of your chest as far away from the floor as possible. Doing so will help you to hit a stronger protraction. Once your body position is locked in, you can start to increase the amount of lean, then the number of reps.

I suggest taking a similar approach on your elevated planche lean. Decrease your lean so that you can focus on stronger protraction and PPT. Also, try to find an elevated surface where your feet can slide freely. This will help you to build to upper body strength needed of the bent arm half straddle planche.

Once both of these exercises are locked in, your bent arm straddle planche will be much easier.

Jon Thornham
47 minutes ago, Jeffrey Bittner said:

Hi Jon,

It looks like you're off to a good start, but both PPP and planche lean need some work.

On your PPP, I recommend decreasing your lean to the point where you are able to maintain a posterior pelvic tilt (PPT) and hit stronger protraction at the top of your reps. To help hit PPT, engage your glutes as you drop your hips towards the floor as Tanya said. Also, aim to touch your hips to the ground at the bottom of each rep. At the top of your reps, try to get the center of your chest as far away from the floor as possible. Doing so will help you to hit a stronger protraction. Once your body position is locked in, you can start to increase the amount of lean, then the number of reps.

I suggest taking a similar approach on your elevated planche lean. Decrease your lean so that you can focus on stronger protraction and PPT. Also, try to find an elevated surface where your feet can slide freely. This will help you to build to upper body strength needed of the bent arm half straddle planche.

Once both of these exercises are locked in, your bent arm straddle planche will be much easier.

Awesome.  Thanks for the advice.  I'll start these exercises this week.  I appreciate the help.  

Alessandro Mainente

We always suggest submitting a form check in order to understand if you are matching the standard.

Generally, the standard is necessary to approach correctly the following elements and avoid the risk of training too closer to maximal strength, something that in the long period leads to stall point.

Jon Thornham
On 2/6/2018 at 11:17 AM, Jeffrey Bittner said:

Hi Jon,

It looks like you're off to a good start, but both PPP and planche lean need some work.

On your PPP, I recommend decreasing your lean to the point where you are able to maintain a posterior pelvic tilt (PPT) and hit stronger protraction at the top of your reps. To help hit PPT, engage your glutes as you drop your hips towards the floor as Tanya said. Also, aim to touch your hips to the ground at the bottom of each rep. At the top of your reps, try to get the center of your chest as far away from the floor as possible. Doing so will help you to hit a stronger protraction. Once your body position is locked in, you can start to increase the amount of lean, then the number of reps.

I suggest taking a similar approach on your elevated planche lean. Decrease your lean so that you can focus on stronger protraction and PPT. Also, try to find an elevated surface where your feet can slide freely. This will help you to build to upper body strength needed of the bent arm half straddle planche.

Once both of these exercises are locked in, your bent arm straddle planche will be much easier.

I've taken the last three months and have been working on your recommendations.  I wanted to see if you could take a look at the new videos and offer suggestions from here.  

https://youtu.be/ZefapfbIfg4

https://youtu.be/6iZBSpApA8Y

 

Alessandro Mainente

THE sPL is good.

in the HBP you need to relax your feet, notice at 13 seconds how you flex your ankle in order to reduce the tendency to fall forward.

Jon Thornham
55 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

THE sPL is good.

in the HBP you need to relax your feet, notice at 13 seconds how you flex your ankle in order to reduce the tendency to fall forward.

Thanks.  I will work on this.