This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

F1 hollow back press

Started by Mike Ross, January 29, 2018 · 8 Replies · 223 Views

Mike Ross

This is a question more out of curiosity...for the hollow back press exercises in F1 the last two exercises are negatives 5x10sec and 5x5 dips

im curious why the long negative holds come before the low rep dips...I find 5x5 dips very easy but the 5x10 sec negatives much harder because of the lactic build up aka the burn but yet the negatives come befor3 the dips

 

thoughts?

Matthew Morse

Are those 5x5 full range of motion to F1 standards?

Only ask because most people don't go that low in their dips.  (at least from what I have seen at the gym) 

Pauline Taube

Hi Mike!

great question!

Most people as Matthew mention are not doing full range dips. In order to build strength through the entire range, the slow negatives are helping you along the way in achieving great form when doing full range dips :) 

@Matthew Morseyes, those are full range dips :) 

Alessandro Mainente
6 hours ago, Matthew Morse said:

Are those 5x5 full range of motion to F1 standards?

Only ask because most people don't go that low in their dips.  (at least from what I have seen at the gym) 

With the negative ALL the PEOPLE can build up confidence with the range of motion, understanding bodyline and angle.

Negative it is also much easier to be controlled due to the continue potentiation of the stretch reflex, something you cannot do with concentric movement.

Antonio Alías Montoya

5x5 are only easy if they are not full rom. What i usually see in the gym is HALF the ROM. Everett Carrol told me he spent 6 months in the negative dips to achieve sufficient rom.

Leo Trinidad

depending on the motion and bodyline and angle, the negative will look like its harder but in reality maintaining proper form as Alex said along with the concentric movement is different. this full rom dip will help with your muscle ups to make them easier especially in the transition part. 

Mike Ross

My ROM is completely full I can go 5x10 on rings and do 5x5 with a 45 around my waist on bars but I fin$ the negatives to be less strength or power output and more endurance where the lactic burn I find hard which is why I asked the question....is it even a strength issue why I find the last exercise easie4 than the negatives or is my bod6  just weird lol

Keilani Gutierrez
17 hours ago, Mike Ross said:

My ROM is completely full I can go 5x10 on rings and do 5x5 with a 45 around my waist on bars but I fin$ the negatives to be less strength or power output and more endurance where the lactic burn I find hard which is why I asked the question....is it even a strength issue why I find the last exercise easie4 than the negatives or is my bod6  just weird lol

negatives will highlight the sticking point and just make you get some free gainz throughout the entire range. it's really helpful when you start getting up to more demanding pressing movements and are only able to do a partial rep. :D 

Mike Ross

Thanks one more question.....the dips in the tutorial show legs straight and 5he follow along video shows legs bent....which should we do?