Could you please advice how can I build up myself to this movement? I can't do any rep even though previous one "Undergrip Single Bar Dip" is quite easy for me .
Thank you!
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Can't do a single rep of "Korean Dip"
Started by Dmitry Tikhovich, January 26, 2018 · 23 Replies · 579 Views
HI Dmitry,
My first recommendation is the GB Foundation Series.
Tanya, sorry, don’t get it. I’m progressing through Foundation and stuck at Korean Dip. I’ve successfully accomplished all previous movements.
I THINK I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM, I CAN DO SINGLE BAR UNDERGRIP DIP, NOT THE KOREAN DIP. FURTHER I COULDNOT UNDERSTAND YOUR REPLY
Edited: I answered your post without reading your second message (we were writing at the same time), so no point on my comment now.
Guys and girl, please post an attempt to that I can figure out WHERE are the problems.
40 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:Guys and girl, please post an attempt to that I can figure out WHERE are the problems.
Spot on.
A beginner difficulty, at least for me, is to have the butt in the way when pressing up. Using momentum to create more distance between the body and the bar solved the problem for me. But everyone is different, post a video!
On January 26, 2018 at 12:01 PM, Dmitry Tikhovich said:Tanya, sorry, don’t get it. I’m progressing through Foundation and stuck at Korean Dip. I’ve successfully accomplished all previous movements.
@Dmitry Tikhovich @Shafi ur Rahman if you have completed the previous progressions adequately, then it could be that you're encumbered by shoulder extension (Handstand series) or it could be a psychological issue. (The Korean dips are quite scary to do at first try so you might need to have somebody spot you "just in case" until you're sufficiently confident to train them on your own.)
It'll also help if your dips (HBP-Pe6) were mastered with your armpits almost touching the bar. Essentially, your shoulders are really going to need to be mobile for this progression to materialize.
I struggled with these ar first a lot too. What I did was to spend a lot of time in my weakest position which for me was the bottom of the dip. If that is yours then Inwould suggest working up to 5x30s in that bottom position, it’s basic but very powerful
I can do Russian dips but not Korean dips, but I'm dedicated to go through the Foundation progressions. This is going to be a long one for me...
I also want to add that if your range of motion in the Bench Dips and the Parallel Bar Dips are insufficient then you will definitely have a hard time with Korean Dips.
On 1/27/2018 at 1:46 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:Guys and girl, please post an attempt to that I can figure out WHERE are the problems.
As I was suspecting is not a problem of strength but a technical problem.
-first: you are restraining the movement. what makes the Korean dip easier, in the beginning, is the swinging, now you are reducing it too much so that you do not have enough momentum for pushing back into the support position, let the body goes and the feet swing on the back.
-second: you are not pushing the correct way .if you try to push up when the butt has not already passed the bar is practically impossible to move over the bar. the butt must pass and then you can push up. this means that the first pushing must be not vertical but something like 45° forward/to the ceiling so that by pushing forward you can pass the bar then by pushing vertical you can reach the top of the bar.
On 14.02.2018 at 1:31 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:As I was suspecting is not a problem of strength but a technical problem.
-first: you are restraining the movement. what makes the Korean dip easier, in the beginning, is the swinging, now you are reducing it too much so that you do not have enough momentum for pushing back into the support position, let the body goes and the feet swing on the back.
-second: you are not pushing the correct way .if you try to push up when the butt has not already passed the bar is practically impossible to move over the bar. the butt must pass and then you can push up. this means that the first pushing must be not vertical but something like 45° forward/to the ceiling so that by pushing forward you can pass the bar then by pushing vertical you can reach the top of the bar.
Alessandro, Friends,
I’ve recorded my movements so you can advice where my problem is.
appreciate your feeback(s).
The problem as stated previously is no momentum, the Korean dips is a dynamic variation and not pure strength if you try to slow down voluntary the movement you cannot have the necessary speed to return above the bar. Of course, the type of equipment is not safe for this work.
On 17.02.2018 at 12:53 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:The problem as stated previously is no momentum, the Korean dips is a dynamic variation and not pure strength if you try to slow down voluntary the movement you cannot have the necessary speed to return above the bar. Of course, the type of equipment is not safe for this work.
As for movement, I’ll try dynamic one. As for equipment, why it’s not safe?
because they seem to be not fixed (maybe yes?), when adding speed the support must be solid.
On 20.02.2018 at 5:20 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:because they seem to be not fixed (maybe yes?), when adding speed the support must be solid.
You’re right, it’s gettting shaky on a greater speed. Can I do another movement instead? I don’t have other equipment.
Hi Dmitry,
You cannot substitute any exercise for Korean Dips. I suggest you find a way to get the proper equipment which is stable.
You can use a Smith machine at a gym that has one. That is what I use for my horizontal bar work.
I’m going to run into trouble when I need parallel bars however...
You can use parallel bars in public parks that's what I have planned to do after completing Korean dips
Hey guys, what I found usefull is the position of the grip of the bar (and like the others mentionned before the amount of extension that is possible in the shoulders). Grip very steady and strong and DON'T let the wrist turn with the bar. Helped my issue
Hi Everyone,
Your recommendations definitely helped! The "Exercise video" within the course is a bit confusing - the movement should be dynamic (thanks, @Alessandro Mainente)! The easiest equipment to use is Smith Machine (thanks, @George Chung).
Thanks again!
BEFORE ANYBODY TRYING THIS EXERCISE I WOULD SUGGEST KINDLY DOUBLE CHECK THE EQUIPMENT STABILITY AND WEAR PROTECTION ON ELBOWS AND KNEES . PUT SOME THING LIKE BED OR FOAM BELOW. MY EQUIPMENT SINGLE BAR CAME OUT AND I BROKE TWO OF MY FRONT TEETH. UNDER TREATMENT COMPLETELY AVOIDABLE AS I SHOULD HAVE CONTROLLED THE ENVIRONMENT . KINDLY SUGGEST DO WEAR MOUTH GUARD TOO..